Dont Flush Fish- Can Cost You $$$$

nikkoli110

I know something you never think about, but this could save you some money. Just to let everyone know, and i know it might sound dumb, but DONT FLUSH FISH!!! I know if you throw them out they will stink, but my boyfriend is a plumber from Roto-Rooter, and he pulls out fish all the time out of people's plumbing, so whether you throw them in the garbage or whatever, anything other than flushing them. If it gets stuck, it'l be at least a $200.00 job.

jenn-e

Makes me think about one time my hubby
I told him it was too big. He flushed a fish that had died and it got stuck and he had to take the toilet up off the floor to get it out.

a short

Sounds gross but I always put mine down the garbage disposal followed by a little soapy water = no smell and no fish.
Now for the morbid part this is how I euthanize a really sick one also :eek: :eek: It sounds gross but I just can't see how slowly freezing can be better than a quick spill down a fast grinding garbage disposal. I have only done this to some fresh water I don't think I have ever put a salty to "sleep"

pufferman

When I heard people talking about flushing their fish down the toilet, I thought they were just joking. I didn't know they really do that!!:scared: Don't feel too bad about $200, though. Think it as a generous donation to one of those anti-animal abuse organizations. Money well spent!

T

tizzo

I am pretty sure that Nikkoli is referring to fish that are already dead.
As far as freezing fish, I do not believe that it's harmful or painful (just my opinion), but since they are cold blooded creatures, the lower their body temp, the slower their body metabolizes. The slower it metabolizes the slower the heart rate and therefore the slower the oxygen supply to organs and cells, thus causing sleep and eventually death.
Until this logic is contradicted with something "more logical", I will AS A LAST RESORT, stick em in the freezer. I only did it once, but I knew without a doubt that fish only had hours of gasping for breath, certain pain and agitation, left.

reefnut

Flush a fish!! I have to hold a ceremony and bury them in a “nice pretty box”… my youngest daughter INSISTS on it.
good thing we haven't lost many...

liontamer

I do the old freezing the fish thing. Except I actually put them in a cup of water, and then put the cup with the fish into the freezer. THey are out within 20 minutes after that.

liverock27

I don't understand flushing them either. If it is dead, why don't you put it in the freezer until trash day and then throw it out. No worry about plumbing and no rotting fish hanging around the back or side yard for a week.

lion_crazz

Freezing is definitely the best way to euthanize a fish. It is not painful at all, whereas the grinding thing sounds quite painful.
I would hate to have to spend $200 to get a plumber to get a dead fish out of my pipes though. Thanks for the info.

lion_crazz

Freezing is definitely the best way to euthanize a fish. It is not painful at all, whereas the grinding thing sounds quite painful.
I would hate to have to spend $200 to get a plumber to get a dead fish out of my pipes though. Thanks for the info.

nikkoli110

:D No prob, just trying to give some advice, since i dont have any fish advice yet, seeing as though i'm new at this. :happyfish

squidd

See..We all have something to contribute...No matter How Bizzar...
Speaking of bizzar...I had a Harlequin Tusk "jump" out of my tank once and he was pretty "dry" when I found him a day or two later...
Mrs. Squidd thought he was "cute" and finished "drying" him in the sun and then put him on the window sill for a decoration...
Mrs. Squidd is WEIRD :notsure: ...Needless to say after a day or two I had to take it down and "dispose" of it...
Wouldn't want the neighbors talking...

a short

I also had a anthia jump out and was compleatly dried out when I found it, like the poor little fish at a beach souvenir shop. It was still very vividly colored just petrified. My 3 year old addored it for days, playing with it, putting it to bed in a box, prettending it was swimming, you name it. Till my hubby saw this dead fish his princess was playing with and demanded we get rid of it. She was pretty sad about having to say bye bye to her little friend. She still wants to know if she can pet any more of my fishys soon. I hope not!!

a short

I think after everyone making me feel bad for grinding my poor sick fish up in the garbage disposal I will change to the freeze method. I did freeze a rather large goldfish once and just kept going to the freezer and looking at him, even after he was frozen solid. I just couldn't get him off my mind but he was to big to do it the quick way that I do my small fish like a neon and a very sick FW betta in the grinder. Its quick and I can feel bad a minute and get on with my life and forget about it. But the freezer methode was harder on me than the fish. And I kept looking at him untill garbage day! Hopefully I won't need to euthanize any more ever again.:D

T

tizzo

I wish I could find it, but I can't so I'll tell ya... I saw an idea on a websight for all the dead fish a while back. Dry it out (it will keep it's color as explained above) and then place them in one of those box style picture frames. It's decorative and also holds sentimental value. And there will be a story behind each fish!! I'm gonna keep lookin' for the article...

a short

I could see my hubby letting me put a dead fish on the wall

he has little tolerance for my hobby anyways. I just thought he freaked when we made a toy out of one but to use them as decoration!