Don't know where to put this... so this'll have to do.

bigsteve

Hey all... just a quick question. I know of all the people here, somebody's bound to be in the marine biology field. My question is, how do I get in? I'm really interested in going back to school and probably majoring in marine biology, but I don't know too much about the field. Any suggestions?

effloresce

research, AP bio classes and AP Chemistry class, Being a high level diver will also help.
and a lot of research and $$$
i have dome the searches on Marine Bio, many a times.

bigsteve

Originally posted by Effloresce
research, AP bio classes and AP Chemistry class, Being a high level diver will also help.
and a lot of research and $$$
i have dome the searches on Marine Bio, many a times.

heh... wonder if they make wet suits in 3XL...? There's a reason they call me "Big Steve" you know. LOL...:D
But seriously, I think the time and money are well worth it. I've only been truly fascinated by two things in life. Space, and the ocean. Since I'm so big (Over 6'... I think that's the cutoff), I don't think I can persue the astronaut thing... But all the fascinating things that lie beneath the water. Those I want to see.
Thanks Effloresce.
Anyone else's input is greatly appreciated.

When you say "get in", what are you referring to? Getting into college or the field?
Getting into the field is simple . . . start taking the courses. Things like Biology, microbiology, chemistry, biochemistry, organic & inorganic chemistry, etc.
You'll need a Ph.D. to make any money though. You can work in the field with just a bachelors, but you will be someones research assistant (aka - a lab rat) for ever and maybe make $30K.

bigsteve

I meant get into the field. I'm already looking at colleges, and trying to figure out what courses to take (other than the basics). Just don't know exactly what courses, or what experience is involved. I would definitely go for a Ph.D. Why stop at a bachelors?
lol... Guess I need to find time in my 60-65 hour work weeks to start taking the entry level classes, huh? Either that or switch careers.:D

If you are serious about going on for your PhD, look at the top graduate schools in the country for Marine Biology and see what courses they require for admission. Check now, and every year to see if the course req's change. If the top schools require it, then they all do or will.
Also, as soon as you get into undergrad, find a professor who is doing some research and start being his/her lab junkie. The more research experience you have, the better your chances of getting into a good graduate program.
US News and World Reports publishes an annual edition that ranks graduate schools. Look into that. Unfortunately its not available online unless you have a subscription.