1 lawnmower blenny
1 mandarin
1 striped cardinal
1 red cleaner shrimp
1 pinked tip anemone
1 florida anemone
10 snails
1 featherduster
Do you think a tang would be ok to add and if so which one would you?

A

autopilot

.. I got a yellow tang today. I figured my LFS had 5 of them in one 10 gallon tank I could have 1 in my 55. Plus I really wanted a tang and its the only one (i think) that will do at least half way decent in at 55 gallon tank.

honey

Magic,,,,You are so right and I guess not everyone thinks of in that sense. I'm a newbie at this and have read so much and still learning and I guess all of us want a this awesome fish tank quick,,,too quick. What amazes me,,,is just other day at drs office,,,,two beautiful BIG saltwater tanks but,,,,packed with fish! There was some gorgeous fish in it and I said to myself...I want a tank like that! You bring up good points however because they have to be able to swim also!

A

autopilot

most everywhere I read says 55 gallon tanks are fine but minimum actually I read somewhere it said 45 was and 55 was perfered.

honey

Magic,,,My tank is 3 and half months old. You look like you have been doing this quite awhile now...

*bta*

Although there will be people who will argue that yellow tangs are ok for a long 55gal that they have kept for years, personally i think itd be ok for a yellow tang, it wouldnt be happy unless you bought a smaller one and as it grew bigger you sell it back, almost every book ive read said that yellow tangs do OK in a 55 gal long tank

*bta*

yes thats what i meant by OK
btw my 55gal
1 tomato clown
1 perc clown
1 gold/yellow damsel
1 yellow tail damsel
thats fish wise
have alot of inverts

honey

Magic,,,,Yeah I know,,,Had 3 already and today got delivery of 4 fish from this place plus the anemones,,,Lightening is the original light that came with our tank so now I'm thinking I need to replace,,,to what? Ouch,,,This one is going to cost me I can tell haha More live rock and now new lightening. yep,,yep Got impatient and wanted some fish sooooo,,,lol

honey

Also,,,check out here what it says about mandarin fish and same in my book so that is misleading I feel.

X

xoxox

My Yellow Tang is perfectly fine in my 55 and he is around 7 inches. I wouldn't go any less in tank size but he has plenty of room to swim around. It also depends on space inside, if you have 100lbs plus liverock then the area for him to swim is small. The amount of other fish in the tank is a factor too, if you have a lot of fish with the tang then the stress is high.

neowind

54g Bowfront Corner
1 Yellow Tang
2 Clownfish (Hosting Torch)
1 LMB
2 Green Banded Gobies
1 Scarlett Cleaner

honey

Is the blue damsel fish more easy going then some of the damsels. I had a black spotted one a month ago and he was so aggressive towards anything I put in tank so had to take him back and give him to fish store. My fish are listed in this thread up above and if all do well,,,I probably would maybe add a blue damsel and then be through. Just wondering what you all think?
Magic...I went to the fish store yesterday and they told me as far as mandarin,,,that he is good now with what live rock I have and would probably be ok for 2 to 3 weeks. He told me to wait 2 weeks to add in other live rock because right now I needed to let the new fish stabilize. Also he told me if mandarin and lawnmower blenny were doing ok (which they are) and not being aggressive that the mandarin should be ok. He said then to add cured live rock.

peridot870

I am still waiting on my tank to cycle. I am researching fish now to decide what to add and when to add it. I was gone for the first month of my cycle and didn't add anything to the water nor did I check it. I just added the live sand the other day and put a pinch of fish food in there. My amonia is still slightly high so it is not finished cycling or I did something wrong!
There is the heater, power heads and filter. I do have 80 sand and 20 lbs live sand. We just got home and I still have not added any live rock because the fish store was out. I will add the live rock before I add fish, I am not in any hurry here. I did some researching and wanted to see what advice I can get on the fish I picked. The website said they were good tank buddies. I also don't know how many I can fit in my tank! Thanks
46 gallon bow tank
Black and while Percula Clown
2 Percula Clown
2 Fairy Basslet
2 Yellow tailed damsels
feather duster
queen conch
I thought I would add the black and white clown first. Later, when I have the tank going and need the "cleaning crew" besides the duster and conch, what do I need?

J

jacob_poly

90 Gallon
2 Clarkii (One big and other tiny)- hope they become a pair
1 ocellaris
5 Green chromis
1 neon goby
1 LMB
1 Blue Tang
Huge Xenia bush
1 Plate coral
1 Flower Pot
90 lbs LR
250 WH MH + 240 W PC. 5.5 W/gallon

aqua39

i've heard that kole tangs do well in 55 gallon tanks with a lot of live rock in them. they are one of the only tangs that do not swim around much and prefer a lot of crevices and hiding places.

drakken

Originally posted by aqua39
i've heard that kole tangs do well in 55 gallon tanks with a lot of live rock in them. they are one of the only tangs that do not swim around much and prefer a lot of crevices and hiding places.

I heard the same thing. Many people have had good luck with them in a 55.
I did not. I got a small Kole that seemed nervous all the time and harassed everything in my tank. I took it back to the LFS and my tank is much more peaceful now.