dose purple up raise calcium levels

alix2.0

i dont understand this post, but since they didnt say "dose purple up grow coralline algae" maybe theyre just stating that all the product is is a calcium supplement.

alvin

Originally Posted by robertmathern
http:///forum/post/3079461
+1 just use instant ocean salt and do water changes. Insteant ocean is high in calcium already
I thought that IO doesn't have any additional elements? Just salt? That is why I switched over to Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.

robertmathern

all salts have trace elemants. They are all mixed different though so you have to find the salt that fits your needs best.

big

Like others have said, I too have heard the stories about overdoing it with "Purple-Up" Be careful if using the stuff, you can easily "unbalance" your tanks proper water chemistry.
Not to steal the thread but, In the past like many I have used IO. Far too low in calcium for my needs.
If your tank sucks up the stuff like mine seems to, at least go to Reef Crystals. I think it is nearly the same as IO with additional Calcium added to the mix.

aquaguy24

Isn't purple up made to target ur live rocks and not corals and such. So adding this to ur tank for the simple fact of raising ur Ca is useless to anything other then ur lr, am I wrong?

bang guy

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/3081069
Isn't purple up made to target ur live rocks and not corals and such. So adding this to ur tank for the simple fact of raising ur Ca is useless to anything other then ur lr, am I wrong?
IMO it's just good marketing for an average calcium supplement. It feeds on new hobbiests by convincing them that more calcium will help coralline. It is dangerous because it implies that it will work without dosing carbonate and seems to encourage new hobbiests to create a Carbonate/calcium imbalance in their system.

spanko

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3081132
IMO it's just good marketing for an average calcium supplement. It feeds on new hobbiests by convincing them that more calcium will help coralline. It is dangerous because it implies that it will work without dosing carbonate and seems to encourage new hobbiests to create a Carbonate/calcium imbalance in their system.
Agree here however the new or old hobbyist does need to learn to research what they are going to do. The purple up literature has the following .... I guess disclaimers;
* Purple Up does not contain coralline algae. Some coralline algae must already be living on rocks or aquarium glass.
* High dissolved phosphate levels inhibit the growth of coralline algae (and corals) and favors the growth of nuisance algaes. Check phosphate levels and use Phos-Buster or other products to lower phosphate levels if necessary.
* Carbonate hardness levels should be maintained at natural seawater levels or higher.

* High nitrogenous waste levels encourage nuisance algae growth, keep nitrogenous waste levels in check.
* Keep pH in the range of normal seawater (8.2).

* Light spectrum in the range of 5500°K or higher favors the growth of coralline algae.
* Grazing animals such as snails, tangs, and reef friendly hermit crabs encourage coralline algae by consuming competing fast growing nuisance algaes.
* Coralline algaes have a life cycle that determines the speed of formation of new colonies. Different species of coralline algaes may grow at different rates. It is not unusual to take several months for pink and purple coralline algaes to reach rapid growth rates.
All boils down to try to know what the results of what you are going to do before you do it. Kind of a don't push the button if you don't know what is going to happen thing.

d-man

the stuff worked great when I could not do water changes for a while but I think all this can be sumed up my saying DON'T ADD ANYTHING UNLESS YOU TEST FOR IT FIRST all of the ph problems I have heard about come for not testing befor you add and just thinking, it helps right

bang guy

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3081138
Agree here however the new or old hobbyist does need to learn to research what they are going to do. The purple up literature has the following .... I guess disclaimers;
It's good they add the disclaimers. I didn't know that and it does change my opinion.
It places this product far above any Marc Weiss product for that reason.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by alvin
http:///forum/post/3080434
I thought that IO doesn't have any additional elements? Just salt? That is why I switched over to Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt!
Ended a lot of my parameter problems and tank looks great.

xcali1985

I use purple up, you have to watch though, it will spike your calcium. However, once I put on my Skimmer it was never a problem again. I simply check the levels about an hour before i want to add it and its fine. I have Healthy green, pink and purple coraline all over my tank and the green almost glows at night its so bright.
As they all say, if you can test for what your adding do so and add it slowly. The first day I added 5mL as per directions. I waited 2 days before adding the rest and tested all 3 days to see my level drops.
Should be noted that as your coraline & LR increases the more PU you will need. Im now at about 6mL a day just to keep it at 400ppm. 1 day without and im al the way down to 320-340ppm range. I went on vacation and should of had a friend do it, it was only 3 days but you saw changes in the coraline and the calcium was below 200.

jackri

I personally feel its a quick fix patch. You'll get coraline all over eventually and one of the down falls in this hobby is get everything now -- although its a living growing system. Like trying to make a 10 year old a teenager IMO.
Proper water parameters, lighting, water changes, and patience is all a reef system really needs IMO.