dosing kalkwasser

sharkey708

I would like to set up a kalk drip system to drip direvctly into my skimmer intake. The kalk I got does not sya how much to add. How do you know how much to add without overdosing the tank? My calcium levels have dipped down to 250. Does anyone know how much to add?

saltcreep

Most mixes are 1 to 2 teaspoons per gallon of ro water. I mix 1 1/2 tsp per gallon and drip half at night and half in the morning. You will need to get your calcium levels up to 420 -450 first though

saltcreep

You need to drip it, do not just pour it in. It is way too strong for that. Yes, need to dose calcium and get the levels up first. The Kalk just helps you maintain cal, ph and alk levels once they are established.

sharkey708

I have Kent Calcium Reactor stuff. Will that bring the level up? Once it is up, how often do you drip the kalk?

saltcreep

Every night. I do mine at night and in the morning. Just start once a night after lights out and monitor your levels. If they stay level or drop a bit just start dripping more. It will take a bit of watching to get it right. I believe some out here are mixing 2 tsp a gallon a night after they get everything stable. I started by dripping 1/2 gallon every night of a mix of 1tsp per gallon for the first month and slowly brought it to a mix of 1 1/2 tsp per gallon twice a day ( night and morning before lights on )