Doughnut Coral

brokendeck

I went to a high dollar fish store then my usual fish store and they had a Doughnut Coral. I purchased it, bc mrs. broke always wanted one. Ive done research on them. They had a buy one get one free deal with everything on sale this weekend. Spring Cleaning sale that was on the newsletter that came to my house. Anywayz I know you feed them mysis and brine shrimp, but how exactly do you do it?
Just shoot it by there mouth? Put the turkey bas in its mouth and shoot the food in there?
Ill post pics of it when I get home from work and when my light is on. I would rather not say on how much I spent on this coral. lol but I did also get a 16 head rainbow acan for free on this deal. Post how you feed yours. Any other info would be great as well.

meowzer

LOL...DONUT CORAL...Scolymia Vitiensis...or Cynarina lacrymalis Also known as Button Coral
While it is not an aggressive coral, it should be provided with adequate spacing between itself and other corals because it can expand to twice its size. It is easy to maintain in the reef aquarium and makes an excellent choice for both the beginner or advanced reef aquarist. It requires a medium light level combined with a low water movement within the aquarium.
It should be fed meaty foods such as micro-plankton or brine shrimp at night.
My Glass Goblet Brain is the same family, it is a Cynarina lacrymalis afterall...I feed mine a small piece of scallop, raw shrimp, clams a few times a week, and I just place it in the center and the coral does the rest.

pbnj

I've had a green donut coral for about 6 months and I spot-feed it mysis shrimp.
Here's what I do:
1) Turn of the return pump so there's no overflow.
2) I soak a mixture of mysis, Cyclop-eeze, and oyster eggs in some tank water with a few drops of Selcon.
3) I shoot some of just the liquid into the tank and let it blow around for a few minutes.
4) The Donut will sense the food, extend its tentacles, and the mouth will become huge.
5) At this point, I spray some mysis onto the tentacles where the stick and get pulled into the mouth.

windlasher

Originally Posted by Brokendeck
http:///forum/post/3052945
I went to a high dollar fish store then my usual fish store and they had a Doughnut Coral. I purchased it, bc mrs. broke always wanted one. Ive done research on them. They had a buy one get one free deal with everything on sale this weekend. Spring Cleaning sale that was on the newsletter that came to my house. Anywayz I know you feed them mysis and brine shrimp, but how exactly do you do it?
Just shoot it by there mouth? Put the turkey bas in its mouth and shoot the food in there?
Ill post pics of it when I get home from work and when my light is on. I would rather not say on how much I spent on this coral. lol but I did also get a 16 head rainbow acan for free on this deal. Post how you feed yours. Any other info would be great as well.
I have a 225 so its kind of a pain to get to all of them with a turkey baster so I do this.
Turn off return pumps and power heads so the tank gets very still.
mix whatever you are going to feed them and add some tank water.
I made a feeding scoop out of about 20" of 1" PVC and glued a funnel onto the top of it. This way I can target feed every coral without getting my hands wet.
When you are done a cup of tank water down the funnel cleans it all out.
let them eat for about 10 mins or so and turn everything back on.