Douting relevence of reef to myself

treble

I was thinking tonight......douting weather I would really care enough to keep corals, the relevence. Although it has been a year going in research and execution of a reef tank. My tank has been up for 4 months, and after a while its not as interesting as watching my beloved fish. I have a six-line wrasse and a 16 gallon tank. Now that having a reef tank has almoast denyed my to keeping a dwarf pufferfish, it has pushed me into the idea of removing corals, and having a FO tank. How many fish could I keep? Do you have any recommendations? Also, if you guys could give me and good reasons for staying with a reef tank, that I may have not seen, I would like to hear them. Greatly appreciated, Evan

dad

This could be argued for days by everyone here.
You can tell by most here that this is a very expensive hobby and we are adicted to it.
This can only be answered by you. either you love it or do not.
If you are not sure than I wouldn't start a reef tank. It takes time and money and patience.
Personally, there is no camparison to a fo tank and a reef.
Once you've had a reef: you will never go back, lol

treble

The fact is I have a reef :) just a little extra info, I have a red, and 2 ricordia mushrooms, and then some pylops.

dad

Like I said: this is your decision. I would hate to talk you into keeping a reef tank if that is not what you want.
Although, there are alot of neat fish that are reef safe.
you mentioned a puffer fish. not sure about reef safe?
What about lions? They are reef safe.
sorry that is about all the advice I can give.

david s

i had a 55 fo tank years ago allways wanted a reef i just started a 90 with 90lr yippie no the patince comes in hehe

bobber

Why not have TWO tanks? A FO and a reef. Just a thought.
Lionfish are reef safe, but I DO NOT suggest them. They are carnivours. They eat tons and produce even more waste. Not good if you are trying to keep your nitrates down.
Treble, it is really up to you. Reef tanks are not for everyone. HTH--Bob

i agree with sammy. a reef tank intrigues me beyond all means. i love learning and researching about different corals, fish, etc. it really is your choice though. me personally, i couldn't do without my reef.

treble

I do agree, reef tanks are very interesting and keeps me buisy. This is one thing I will have to think about, thank you, any more replys are also welcome

beachbaby

I like our reef tank because you never know when something new is going to appear. You can see a new snail or crab crawl out of your rock one day that you didn't even know was there. I also think that even though you have to be careful about the fish you put in, there are still very beautiful fish that can be put in. There are also some that aren't as pretty but have tons of personality and are very entertaining to watch. Good luck in your decision. By the way, we have two tanks now. One for a reef, one is for fish only. We couldn't stay away from those puffer fish!

fshhub

i say the choice is 100% yours to make, which one do you like better and would offer you the most joy, i admit both have many advantages and rewards
but if you would be more happy with the other than i say go for your happiness too, otherwise, who are you trying to impress, certainly not me or anyone else here, we would love to see pics, but fish only or reef would make us just as happy to view, make it enjoyable for yourself is all i am saying

broomer5

Evan,
As already stated by many here, reef or FO is naturally up to you. Having 2 tanks is a great idea if you can swing it, and want a little of both wet worlds.
Right now I am also more fascinated with developing my reef tank. That will most likely take me awhile to get it to where I am satisfied - if I ever will be :p
Someday soon hopefully, I'd like to have a very large 200+ FOWLR and go for some larger species of marine fish. Someday.
Which leads me to one of your first questions.
In a 16 gallon tank - you are limited to how many and what size fish you can keep.
One wrasse IMO is really about all I would attempt to keep in a smaller tank.
If you are truly more intrigued with keeping various saltwater fish - I would suggest looking to a larger tank if your budget will allow, or at least start planning in that direction.
Sounds like you are one for "planning" and researching ... which I admire a great deal.
You'd have a much better chance of success with a large FO tank than trying to keep too many fish in a 16 gallon. Plus - big FO or FOWLR tanks are pretty darn cool too !!!!!

blondenaso1

I don't know about the rest of you but after the first time I saw a really nicley put together reef tank, I was hooked! I think I spent maybe an hour or two deciding wether I wanted a FO or reef. I think if you have to ponder the topic for that long then a reef tank is not for you. This is with the exception of financial considerations. Reefs are more expensive to put together and maintain, but in my opinion creating another world as beautiful as that in your living room is enough to justify the expenses. I also agree with boomer. Since it is such a small tank then the amount of fish able to be kept in it is small and this rules out most of the fish that people have FO tanks for. If you are not sure wether you would "like" a reef or not then you need to take a look at some really nice reef tanks. But in the end the decision is yours.

jakob4001

I would say if you can swing it, do both...your reef is kind of small, so should not require as much $$$ into as a larger one would...however, just because something is regarded as a big no no for a reef, does not mean you can not give it a try IF you have options that would allow you to remedy anything that might come up such as having to rid tank of a coral eater or LR mover by trading or getting credit from the return...some things you can keep in a reef for a period of time, but would have to be moved to other quarters later

predator

I'v been envolved in many diffrent things and done alot. I have nver in my life been involved and eager to learn about something as I have my reef. I love fish but in my eyes they merely compliment my reef. The beauty and the intrigue involved in a reef tank can not be compared to by much, at least where I'm sitting. I think that if you even doubt that you want one then it probably is not for you. I personally would have it no other way.

S

starfishjackedme

nothing gets as much attention as a well stocked, show-quality reef.

k.lee

For a 16 gallon tank, I'd keep the reef. Don't add a lot of fish, at least not active ones, like goatfish *grumble* (that's for any reef with sand --a goat will make your l;ife hell with a reef --spit sand over everything, and also steal morsels from inverts *more grumble*).
AS FO is a great set-up and without the extra costs in lighting and supplements less costly. BUT, I think with few fish, maybe a mandarin, and algae eating fish, less maintenence than FO. Reef w/fish is definately the most maintenance IMO.
Lee

treble

First of all thank you to every single one of you who replied. I do in fact have a spare 55G in my garage, maybe that could be the way to go. I really do apreciate your hosbitality.