Down-sizing and have some questions about skilter skimmer

joyfnp

Hello nano tankers
First off, does a 20L qualify as a nano tank? I just started one today and plan on using some LR & LS from my 75 to get things going. I plan on keeping zoos and mushrooms and maybe 2 small fish and A shrimp. I bought a catfish PC light; a skiLter 250 filter/skimmer. I now realize I made A mistake on the filter, but would like to see if I can make it work. And I so don't understand the various modifications people have made with the skilter.
If you drill a hOle in the top of the cover to run the air line, what happens to That weird looking tail thingy that fits over top of the siphon tube (the upside down U)?

joyfnp

This tank is sitting on my kitchen counter and when it comes time to change the filter cartridge I will not have enough clearance at the top of the tank. I am thinking of using A bag of Carbon and some fluval ceramic beads as my filter Media, but how do I get the beads out of the filter to clean them? Maybe I should wrap them in filter floss so that traps the gunk?

jake123

Don't know much about the filter..
I would use lr rubble instead of the ceramic beads,
You won't have to worry about cleaning it!!

craig_08

Unfortunately, the Skilter doesn't really do a whole lot even with the modifications. I tried to make it work on a 10 gallon when I was first starting but ended up tossing it and chalking it up to a newbie mistake. good luck

joyfnp

Originally Posted by Craig_08
Unfortunately, the Skilter doesn't really do a whole lot even with the modifications. I tried to make it work on a 10 gallon when I was first starting but ended up tossing it and chalking it up to a newbie mistake. good luck
Hi Guys, thanks for responding.
What did you use on your tank, then when the Skilter didn't work? Do they make skimmers about as small? My tank is the 20 long that is only 12 inches high. On my 75, I have a remora C and love it, but it's too tall for the 12 inch tank.

joyfnp

ok, so the skilter is history - i had just filled up the empty canister part of the filter before turning it on and the thing was leaking. So back to the store for at least a partial credit I hope. Anyways, does anyone have experience with the tunze nano?