dozens of bristleworms

unsalted

I know keeping bristleworms in the tank is controversial.
I have one larger one that is 6-8" long that comes out at feeding time and takes silversides fine, but today I noticed at least a dozen that I can see at the front of the tank, plus I believe more under the tank in little tunnels(I have a 72 bow and the bow sticks out over the shelf.) These are all small maybe an inch long and 2mm in width.
My question, IS the high number of worms problematic or a sign of something wrong, or is this the norm like cockroaches, if you see one you know that there are many more?
Thanks

nas19320

Bristleworm populations are generally a result of the amount of food they can scavenge, with lots of leftover food and no predators the populations will grow large. Bristleworms are great scavengers to have.

mr. tuna

I have had a bristle worm eat my clam.. :yes:
He went under it and chewed through my clams tissue and killed it, so i hate brisstle worms. JMO

h2oengr

If controlled - by the amount of detritus you have, I have heard that they are excellent scavengers and are a must for any reef. Can you get some sort of predatory fish/invert to keep them at bay? That would be my suggestion to keep them in check. Good luck.

otradnoje

there are good bristleworms and there are bad bristleworms. I'd trap your large one if i were you. The two or so inch ones that are half purple and half pink are the only ones i'd trust

unsalted

THE reason I ask is that I have heard o people having one large ONE, but not many. I wanted to make sure there wasn't any infestation.

saltywhit67

Coralife makes a trap for them. Its called "Trap-em" They were using them at my lfs for a while and they said they really work. IMO get rid of as many as you can!

peejfish

i read somewhere a certain crab or shrimp eats them...maybe a cbs or an arrow crab? i think its the arrow crab

mlaw

both arrow crabs and six line wrasses will eat them although if you have corals i would suggest going with the six line since arrows have a tendency to pick at corals

verde_ad

I just saw my six line eating one today. These are cool little fish too. They are very active and also eat flatworms. Not a bad addition to any tank.

unsalted

all right a six line it is.
I have plenty of rrom in my tank since a hot pink sea cucumbereviscerated itself and dropped the pH down over night and killed my flame angel, hippo tang, and green chromis!!! Only two perc clowns survived.

nvmycj

Hey guys & gals,.......
What the heck does a bristle worm look like? If anyone can get a good pic, that would be great to see. And how do they get in your tank?
Thanks