Dragonets

jeff10

After finding out I had copepods all over my tank I got a Mandarin (I think this is the first fish everyone wants when they get into the hobby if they see one but luckily I did my research and waited). I then noticed the spotted Dragonet and everywhere I read, it says it eats Brine as well as copepods...Is this easier to handle than the mandarin (Its an easy fish to keep alive if you have the copepods since its so good with being disease resistant). Of course this is the aqua raised spotted

But thoughts on the spotted as far as getting along with a mandarin and other than the aqua raised, have you fed it brine or blood worms and if so how did you do it or did you just drop them in and let it be?

btw my Mandarin is doing great. Had it over a month now and he (I think she) is looking great and healthy.

hunt

A spotted dragonet is a mandarin, and mandarins are dragonets. They will all eat copepods (unless they are tank raised and you know they are eating brine/mysis. Then youd be fine) And im also not sure if you can mix mandarins

J

jstdv8

unless they for sure eat frozen food be sure you have a sump with alot of pods and a nice growing factory in there before bringing the mandarin into your system.

hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff10 http:///forum/thread/380245/dragonets#post_3308918
After finding out I had copepods all over my tank I got a Mandarin (I think this is the first fish everyone wants when they get into the hobby if they see one but luckily I did my research and waited). I then noticed the spotted Dragonet and everywhere I read, it says it eats Brine as well as copepods...Is this easier to handle than the mandarin (Its an easy fish to keep alive if you have the copepods since its so good with being disease resistant). Of course this is the aqua raised spotted

But thoughts on the spotted as far as getting along with a mandarin and other than the aqua raised, have you fed it brine or blood worms and if so how did you do it or did you just drop them in and let it be?

btw my Mandarin is doing great. Had it over a month now and he (I think she) is looking great and healthy.
A 46g tank really isnt big enough for a mandarin unless you have a ton of LR, or a refugium, they eat houndreds of pods a day wich will quickly deplete your pods. Im not saying you cant keep it, but if it starts looking thin, you should start buying copepods every 3-4 weeks or so.

I reccomend trying to find one that eats mysis. Its alot easier than trying to wean it yourself. And i also think you should try and wean the one you have now onto live baybe brine shrimp, then start mixing in enriched frozen brine shrimp, then once its taking frozen brine, start mixing in mysis shrimp untill its eating mysis. (not as easy as it sounds)
Also, there might be aggression between the two in such a small tank. You should just stick with the one you have. Two would prabably not work out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty-Fish
http:///forum/thread/380245/dragonets#post_3308936
I want to get one but not sure if i tank can handle it yet.
How big/old is your tank?

jeff10

Thanks all, thanks Hunt. I like to get opinions here before making a decision so I Always appreciate the help.

btldreef

I wouldn't put two mandarins in a 40G tank.

I have a 155G with two mandarins. One is the spotted and the other is a red mandarin (the regular mandarin that everyone sees everywhere, more blue than red really). Anyways, my red mandarin does not accept frozen, but the spotted does. I owned the spotted first and when I first introduced the red mandarin, the spotted did chase it around, but now they are fine together. Even though I have 155G with over 300lbs of LR and a refugium, I seed my tank and refugium from time to time just for good measure.

jeff10

Yeah, I got a TON of that Copepods that have built up and up and up but dropped some in a month ago for good measure and will be getting more Copepods next week. I dont have a refugium in my 46 gallon (I need to change my title lol)