Dream project - octostarhorses

chrismilano

Ok - Im starting to think about what if I get a 30-40 gallon tank just to house an octopus, starfish (I know octopi do NOT eat stars) and seahorses. DSB, RO water, protein skimmer...
Any advice? Can the 3 live together?
is a filter necessary?

miner

Please do not put Seahorses in with Octopus. Seahorses are very timid creatures, and are slow eaters. They will starve to death. Put them seperate, and if possible buy only the ones trained to eat frozen foods.
HTH

kris

seahorses should not be housed with anything except other seahorses. I wish you ALOT of luck--you'll need it trying to keep the very delicate creatures you've chosen. :)

von_rahvin

search the net there are several sites that are completely devoted to seahourse keeping. for a thought . . . have an octopi in a larger tank and then build a visible refugium and keep a seahourse or 2 in there. just a thought. I would not really house anything with an octopi. they are just too efficient pred's. species tanks are what is need for the really cool stuff.

joe5_15

u can keep seahorses with pipefish there about the same
for more info look at ***********.com better known as petwarehouse

chrismilano

Thanks everyone...
Is it possible to build a refugium without drilling my main tank? Ill do a search on how to set one up, but maybe that's my answer...
thanks again
chris
:p

yellowtang

seahorse.org
octopus- are smart and love to get out of the tank, so make sure it's sealed up tight! one got loose in the lfs,
whipple ~I love the smile typing, where did you find it at? and do you mind if i copy it?

gracie

Hi,
I am also looking into getting a octo. Here is what I know so far:
They require excellent water conditions.COPPER KILLS.Not all species fo octos are prone to escape.They must have several hiding places in the aquaruim.Live rock is recommened to help with the filtration.Most people who have octos suggest at least a 30gal aquarium.Octos prefer little or no lighting at all.I have been reading the message boards for a while and many people discourage getting octos.I think they are wonderful creatures they just take a little more patience.Every person that I have talked to that has or had an octo in the past highly recommends them.Don't get discouraged!! LOOK INTO THE WEBSITES OF PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KEEP OCTOS!!!
Thanks,
Gracie