drew2005's 75g Upgrade Begins

drew2005

Here are some pics of my new setup. This is a 75g Deep Blue Edge Rimless with Marineland Monterey stand in black. I upgraded the bulkheads from the kit. They seem flimsy and cheap. Here is a list of my equipment that i will be using:
Sump: Trigger Systems Ruby 30s
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Diablo XS160 In sump
Heater: 2 150w Eheim Jagers
Pump: Mag Drive 9.5
Lighting: Maxspect Mazarra P Series - 2 Modules so far. Will most likely order a 3rd module.

freshly painted using krylon fusion flat black

finished after 2 coats.

current setup Oceanic 46g bowfront

painted and on stand

46g moved over and 75 in place ready to go.

Equipment. Skimmer is a beast! :)

closeup of maspect modules.
More pics to come. Buying live rock from LFS this week. They just got in some nice rock. I need to grab about 50lbs before its all gone. Great price of $5 a pound.
Feel free to comment, like, dislike or whatever lol

gemmy

How do you plan on hanging the lights? I have the same ones. It's really easy to program them. Just be careful with everything, they are kinda fragile.

drew2005

Tank mount for now. Im considering the wall mount option. I didnt even notice it was an option. The rails do seem a bit flimsy. I like that they give you 3 different sets of optics. Definitely a plus. I played around with them for about an hour and it seems fairly easy to program. Only issue i had was trying to figure out what button does what lol after a few minutes i got it. I will say they are pretty damm bright when on at 100%. I pretty much blinded myself first time i turned it on lol

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2005 http:///t/390910/drew2005s-75g-upgrade-begins#post_3464139
Tank mount for now. Im considering the wall mount option. I didnt even notice it was an option. The rails do seem a bit flimsy. I like that they give you 3 different sets of optics. Definitely a plus. I played around with them for about an hour and it seems fairly easy to program. Only issue i had was trying to figure out what button does what lol after a few minutes i got it. I will say they are pretty damm bright when on at 100%. I pretty much blinded myself first time i turned it on lol
They don't seem that bright to me, but that could also be that I am replacing 250 watt halides.

drew2005

Did my first test today....Took me 3 days to filter enough water to fill up the tank and sump
60gpd RO/DI unit
Temp - 78
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 5.0
ph - 8.2
sg - 1.021 (ran out of salt mix. Need to be 1.025 for coral transfer from my other setup lol)
All test done with a new API master kit
Didn't bother to test nitrate being the nitrite was so high. I put in 60 lbs of live rock which i believe to be almost fully cured according to my lfs guy. Which i completely trust. Could explain the 0 ammonia right? Also started my skimmer to make sure it was operational. But i have since turned it off. Now i read mixed opinions on running it during cycling. What do you guys think? I was thinking maybe start it when my nitrite drops and nitrate spikes?

drew2005

Day 4 of cycle....
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 1.0
Nitrate - 10
SG - 1.021
Temp - 79
ph - 8.0
Could my nitrite have dropped that much in 3 days? Im using a brand new test kit. I also ghost fed the tank for the last 2 days with sinking pellets to see if i get any spike in ammonia. I bought 60lbs of cured live rock. I will be transferring over another 50lbs or so from my other setup.

sweatervest13

I have that skimmer and love it. I did not run my skimmer while my tank was cycling. But I don't think it would hurt anything. I just did not see a reason to use the extra energy. And I also cycled at 1.021 (why use extra salt mix).
I like the look of the set up. You should have lots of extra room with this upgrade. It looks cool with the two tanks right next to each other. Sounds like you are flipping everything into the new 75g. What fish do you have now, and what do you plan on adding?
As for your numbers. You bought a decent amount of live rock. The rock might be able to handle what you are putting in there. I would keep testing though.
Keep posting pics!!

drew2005

Thanks! This skimmer is awesome. Its already pulling smelly stuff out lol. My only problem is the drain. Its too loud with the water splashing. Ill be fixing that real soon.
Right now i have about 40-50lbs of lr in the other tank which will be going in here once its cycled. Right now i only have 2 percula clowns. I lost my royal gramma and a giant toadstool, that i was getting ready to frag, back in august when the hurricane hit the east coast. I plan on getting another gramma, yellow tang and blue hippo once its all ready. I know im pushing it with the tangs but many people have had success with them in a 75. Also plan on getting into some sps corals. Once i get the third led module im going to give it a shot.
Im going to test every other day for another week or 2 and see where my numbers are. I love the look of the 2 tanks together. I wish i could keep em both but its just too much to handle right now.
I will take more pics soon and post em up!

drew2005

Couple more pics. Please excuse the wiring. Im waiting on some rails for my lighting before i run the wires and make everything neat.

full sump shot

tank shot without lighting and 60lbs of live rock

acrylic51

Tank looks good....I don't see what a skimmer would do or affect running it during cycling.....At least the skimmer would be functioning and breaking in during the cycle, so it would be ready to go....

drew2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390910/drew2005s-75g-upgrade-begins#post_3465239
Tank looks good....I don't see what a skimmer would do or affect running it during cycling.....At least the skimmer would be functioning and breaking in during the cycle, so it would be ready to go....
Thanks! Im running it. Break it in and this tank is cycling pretty quick. I just tested again today and these are my readings....
Day 5 of cycle
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .25
Nitrate - 20
sg - 1.021
ph - 8.0
temp - 79
Nitrite is already dropping and nitrate it on its way up. Never had an ammonia spike. I bought fully cured rock. I ghost fed and still nothing.

reefkprz

The whole idea of a skimmer it to pull stuff from the tank before it breaks down. and remove protiens that dont break down easily along with every other hydrophobic substance in water.
that said I always run my skimmers as soon as I get them set up. whether I am "cycling" or not. I can't really see it hurting anything, all it'll do is pull garbage from the water before it turns into ammonia trite and trate.
looking good, by the way.

drew2005

Thanks reefkprz! Im actually impressed with this skimmer. Worth the money. Cant wait to see what it pulls out when i start moving everything over and stocking more fish.

drew2005

Looks like my tank has reached the end of cycle. My nitrites have been 0 for 2 days. Nitrates have spiked to 40ppm and as of last night they are 10ppm. About to do a 20 gallon water change this weekend. I have brown/rusty color algae forming all over my live rock. Ill assume its the start of diatoms. Clean up crew will be ordered early next week and the transfer of all my livestock probably another week. I wanna make sure i get the nitrate down to 0 and under control. More pics coming soon!

drew2005

Transfer of all rock and livestock is complete. Here are some pics. Excuse the messy wires. I have another led module on the way before i run all wires and tidy everything up. 2 is not enough to light the whole tank.