driftwood in reefs...

townsdp

I want to put a couple thin pieces sticking out of my rock when I re-aquascape to cover in zoos or gsp. Anyone have bad luck with driftwood as far as leaching anything or holding bad nutrients? And what is the best way to clean it if I can use it? thanks

scottallert

i have heard from my LFS that is causes ph spikes but my LFS has told me alot of things that i shouldnt have listened to.

snakeblitz33

Driftwood, in my opinion, isn't the best thing to add to a saltwater aquarium because your pH will fluctuate a bit. Naturally, driftwood has an acidic pH because of it's origins.
However, most of my tanks run at 7.6 to 7.8 pH anyway, so... do your thing, whatever you think you would want to do. If it doesn't work out, then take it out.

nwdyr

I would say NOOOOO to driftwood for the reasons stated above...and it just don't look good....
JMO

townsdp

fair enough. I will just put the wood in my fw tank. I have a hard time finding tonga around here. I wanted some long "branches" to stick out of the rock and get covered in gsp, zoos, shrooms, etc. I might also look into making some from that aragocrete stuff. Be easy to make and let it cover in algae in my fuge. Thanks for all the responses so I didn't regret doing it later

debbie

I would not do it. I have driftwood in my freshwater Discus tank and IMO it is for freshwater more than saltwater. Never heard of it being in saltwater tanks.
It will also cause your ph to go down, that is why Discus love it so much as they prefer a lower ph. Mine is still leaching tannins after having it for 6 months. It turns the water a tea color which I don't think would be good for saltwater.
Instead look for some branching live rock at your LFS that is what I am going to put into my little pico tank for the zoas to go onto. You can make that look like branches coming from your rock if thats what you are looking for.

reefkprz

you really dont want a large chunk of organic matter rotting in your reef tank. if your tank was unusually large you could probably get away with it but under 300gal a definate no no.
by adding driftwood you would be placing a source of constant organic waste as the driftwood rots, lowering PH and adding all the by products of the wood decomposition, ammonia, nitrites nitrates phosphates tannins phenols, and depending on the wood, and nutrient availability, and the nirogen to carbon ratio of the environment and microbes that would develop in the decomposing wood....
basicly its a can of 2worms and opening a big door for problems to waltz through.

socal57che

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2848813
you really dont want a large chunk of organic matter rotting in your reef tank. if your tank was unusually large you could probably get away with it but under 300gal a definate no no.
by adding driftwood you would be placing a source of constant organic waste as the driftwood rots, lowering PH and adding all the by products of the wood decomposition, ammonia, nitrites nitrates phosphates tannins phenols, and depending on the wood, and nutrient availability, and the nirogen to carbon ratio of the environment and microbes that would develop in the decomposing wood....
basicly its a can of 2worms and opening a big door for problems to waltz through.

I read a discussion on another forum where somone had a HUGE algae bloom after adding driftwood. They had to completely tear down the tank to remove stray debris from the rotting wood. It was a couple years ago, but I may have saved a link to the thread/story.

ophiura

Definitely don't do it.
If you can't find branch LR consider some DIY so you can make shapes you like.

pbienkiewi

Three main kinds of drift wood in the hobby are African, Savanna Root, and Malaysian driftwood. Driftwood contains tannins. Tannins will stain your tank water to a light yellow color giving it the color of a tea look. In all plants and trees tannins are used as defensive compounds that counteract bacteria and fungi by interfering with their surface proteins. There are rivers in the Amazon that are so filled with tannins that the water is stained to the color of tea and very few organisms can actually thrive in this water. These rivers are called "blackwater" habitats. It just so happens that many fish from the "blackwater" habitats of the Amazon seems more susceptible to disease.
Since driftwood contains tannins or tannic acid it will try to lower your aquarium's pH. In saltwater fishtanks we are trying for the total opposite. Reaching a higher PH and higher bacteria count. Then like said before there is the organic part of driftwood that is time it will breakdown and cause havoc on our reef tank.