Drilled or overflow box??

zincoxide

I just picked up a 90g. I was thinking of taking it to the LFS to get it drilled instead of using an overflow box as I really don't like the look of them.
Is this suggested?
Is it something that I should get the LFS to do, or is it something that I should do myself - I have never drilled glass before. or, should I take it to a local glass company??

G

gdavies

Hello, I haven't heard of taking a non drilled tank to a lfs store to have it drilled, but hey if they can do it.
If I had the option to do my whole set-up over again I would go with the drilled tank hands down, not only do they do a better job at circulating the water but they are easier to operate. I would suggest having everything done professionally though, you will be much happier down the line than if you were to put something together yourself without knowing exactly what you are doing.
I hoped this helped!

acrylic51

I would personally get the tank drilled if you have the choice......What is the LFS charging to drill the tank? Most glass companies won't touch it, because of liability, and most might look at you funny as well........
I would ask anybody who say they can, and will drill the tank, if they will guarantee they won't break it.....if they won't guarantee walk away......I would personally drill the tank myself......It's not hard and there are numberous threads on this site showing all the tools and bits needed to do it....Super easy just takes a little time and patience......You'll also need to know you might not be able to drill the bottom of the tank, probably the bottom is tempered, so it would have to be drilled on the back or ends..........

zincoxide

I was actually hoping to drill the back as I don't like the look of PVC piping going through the tank (unless there is a way to hide that).
$20 per hole at the LFS. They ship it out to a manufacturer and then send it back.
He said that the company would guarantee it if I bought the tank from them but he doubts that they will guarantee a used tank. However, he said that he hasn't seen them break one yet (knock on wood).

acrylic51

$20.00 per hole isn't bad seen worse, but you could drill it yourself cheaper than that.....JMO.......Are we talking about drilling a new tank or the used tank you previously mentioned.......PVC can be hidden depending what your planning and how intense you want to get.

acrylic51

You can hide PVC by painting or by buring your lines under you rockwork or sandbed to get them where needed......Krylon Plastic paint will work, but you should let it cure....

zincoxide

I was thinking of getting them to drill the top/right or left corner and just put some kind of screening over it and the water would just flow out the hole, down the pipe and into the sump. Is this the right way??

acrylic51

Yes you could get the top drilled and put screens inside the bulkheads......I did that on my CL drains.....there 2" drains though.........I used bathroom shower grates....

acrylic51

Not really a right or wrong way of doing things.....It depends how you want the system setup and what is easier for you.