drilled tank, non drilled sump-?

stanlalee

water drains from the tanks overflow (hang on back or in tank drilled) and is plumbed into sump as shown below. doesn't even have to be that fancy. my 30 gallon just has the hose dropped down straight into the sump

if your using a submersed pump(s) there is no need for the sump to be drilled. tubing or piping is run directly from the return water pump(s) output back to the tank

if you are using an external pump you'll drill and fit a bulkhead like below (just one)

thirty6

so i run the plumbing from the display tank into sump and attach to submersible pump, no need for anything else. that sounds easy enough, is the second pic of pump or powerheads/

stanlalee

you dont attach the drain coming from the tank to anything. It drains freely into the sump. the return pump then sends the water back into the tank.
you can see the grey drain hose from the tank here.

on my 30gallon you can see the hose attached to my return pump going back to the tank

thirty6

thanks, not sure why this confuses me so much.
how is the waterflow coming in from display tank regulated then, is there a valve on bulkhead? i have had sw tanks before, never this type of set up though thanks for patience with me.

stanlalee

the water going from the tank to the sump is just a gravity siphon. it is basically regulated by how fast the return pump pushes water back into the tank.the rate the water is pumped back into the tank is determined by the gallons per hour (GPH) the pump is capable of pumping back into the tank. your overflow will be rated at a max GPH it can handle or drain without water backing up and overflowing your tank. AGA tanks with build in overflows are rated at 600gph. most hang on back overflows with a single drain are rated at 600gph or so (except CPR are rated from 300gph and up depending on model). you must use a return pump that doesn't exceed the overflow box rating. there will be plumbing loss (the more length the pump has to push the water up to the tank the less GPH it can pump) so if you have an overflow rated at 600gph you can safely run a pump in the 600-700gph range. a 600gph pump will probably only be pumping about 400gph or less by the time it reaches your tank. so basically you match the pump rating to your overflow rating. you'll probably do good just to chose a pump rated for the same as the overflow or stick within a plus minus of 100gph of the overflow rating.