Drilling A 110g

canareef

I'm looking to upgrade the tank in my living room from a 50 to a 110. I was going to drill the overflow up in the top corner of the tank instead of the bottom so my overflow would not have to be so large. Has anyone done this before is there any negative effects?? I was thinking structurally it may weaken the tank where if it was in the bottom there is no flex on the glass because it's supported by the stand. Any input would be greatly appreciated..

scopus tang

Originally Posted by canareef
http:///forum/post/2901635
I'm looking to upgrade the tank in my living room from a 50 to a 110. I was going to drill the overflow up in the top corner of the tank instead of the bottom so my overflow would not have to be so large. Has anyone done this before is there any negative effects?? I was thinking structurally it may weaken the tank where if it was in the bottom there is no flex on the glass because it's supported by the stand. Any input would be greatly appreciated..
We have successfully drilled many tanks (actually had them drilled by a glass shop, which is what I recommend). However, if you are going to drill a tank always drill in the sides, never in the bottom. The bottom should be tempered glass and drilling will cause it to shatter. That said, be cautious, some of the older tanks are built completely of tempered glass and any attempt to drill anywhere will cause the tank to shatter

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by canareef
http:///forum/post/2901635
I drilled my tank with no problems.The rule of thumb is drill the width of the bit away from the edge.