Drilling a glass aquarium

wamp

Glass sump? Yes you can but you have to have the right drill bits..
Richard Rendos just bought some himself and he can help you with finding them. I will see if I can get him to post to you.

bingo

If it is a 10 gallon glass tank, it is a little extra tricky from what I hear. The glass on a 10 gallon is so thin, many people crack them. It can be done, just a little warning :)

reeferx

^^^
I heard the same thing about 10 gal.
--
Ameriglas has good prices on bits.

I did recently ask my old boss how we used to do this.
He said we used a diamond core bit and went slow. We used to use a glass dam to help keep the bit cool. If you can't find those, substitutes work like using puddy. Build it around where you are going to drill and fill with anti-freeze or water. Some even mix the two. Some people just dip the bit in water now and then and don't use dams. Ameriglas says you don't even need water with their bits, but I would probably do it anyway.
Obviously make sure the tank is secure on the bench, horse, or whatever. Some people use mobile drill presses. We did it free hand.
Wear eye protection. If you do it, good luck!
:)

drummerboy

Thanks for the information, I was hoping to do the same thing myself. Please let us know if it worked for you, and how you did it. And does anyone know where to get these bits? I haven't seen anything like them in a hardware or home improvement store.

richard rendos

Hey, I just drilled a 10 gallon myself to practice for a 33 gallon I am going to drill in a few weeks. You will need a diamond core drill bit. I got mine from here:
<a href="http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/W9.htm" target="_blank">http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/W9.htm</a>
Works great! Just don't put much pressure on the drill. Let the drill do the work. I took mine in the driveway, ran water from the hose over the glass while I drilled. Not a gusher, but a small stream to keep glass and drill bit cool while drilling. A portable drill press comes in handy because otherwise getting the hole started is the hard part. The bit wants to run all around on the glass. This scars the surface of the glass. The portable drill press keeps the drill or the tank from moving around on you. It will make things easier and a cleaner hole.
Once I got the bit started in the glass, it took like 30 seconds to complete the hole. Also, I drilled the side glass not the bottom. They say it is hard to drill tempered glass and most tanks have tempered glass on the bottom for added strength. Good luck, and Happy Drilling!
P.S. If you have any other questions, post them here and I will respond as soon as possible.