Drilling a Glass Tank Tips

black cobra

So I just drilled my tank for the 1st time and it was a success. Here are some tips for anyone looking to drill there tank:
Parts Needed:
1. A Glass Tank
2. Drill
3. Diamond Tipped Hole Saw 1-1/2"
4. Plumbers Putty
5. Duct Tape
6. Safety Goggles
First find the area where you want to drill your hole in your tank. Once you have it, put two strips of Duct Tape on the inside part of your tank. (This will serve as a catch for when you drill thru and it will catch the glass hole and stick to iy and stop it from falling.
Next take your plumbers putty and form two halfs to make a big circle around the area where your drilling. Pour some water in the circle. It will make like a small pool and this will serve as coolant for while your drilling.
Put your diamond tipped drill bit in and tighten it down. If you have speed settings on your drill, set it to High Torque/Low Speed. You do not want to go fast while drilling glass. Next begin to drill. I went in at an angle till I got a grove cut into the glass then I correct to straight up and down drilling. DO NOT APPLY PRESSURE. The only pressure should be the weight of the drill.
Once your thru (You will get drips into your tank and feel the glass sink a bit into the tape) turn off the drill and get some towels and wipe up the water and take off the plumbers putty. Then peel back the tape and glass hole stuck to it.
Congratulations

*For a 1-1/2" Hole you will need a 3/4" Bulkhead fitting*

scsinet

Nice writeup!
One thing I like to do that may come in handy...
I like to have a regular holesaw or a forstner bit that is the same size as the diamond bit. I use that to drill a hole in the center of a small piece of scrap acrylic. I think 1/4" plywood would work well for this also. Then, using a round file, enlarge the hole just slightly ... just enough to let the diamond bit slide through the hole easily.
That piece of acrylic can now be taped down over the spot you want to drill, and it will serve to guide the diamond bit when you are drilling, giving you a very precise cut.