drilling a tank??

cincijoe

I have a 75 gallon that is not RR and would like to get it drilled, but I have a couple of questions:
How many and how big should the holes be?
What do I put over the holes so that fish/invertes/etc don't get pulled into the sump?
Thanks,
Joe

thedogofwa

It depends on what turnover rate you're looking for. I did (2) 1" drains on my 75. 1" bulkheads require 1-3/4" holes a 1" drain will support about 600GPH
you also need some type of weir/overflow. I like to just use PVC 90's. They are small and not as obstructing as a box.

hariii2

Hey DOG,
Excellent idea with the 90's. How many do you have? and do you have an actual picture of them in your tank? I assume the little line going up is a vent?
thanks

thedogofwa

thanx, I originally did it on my 29 because using a box was so obstructive. I was concerned about adequate surface extraction but it does just fine. Ended up liking it so much I just decided to do the same with then 75
the first pic shows them in my tank. Only the one on your right is plumbed in that pic. Yes the T is for venting. look closely and you'll see the plumbing behind the tank, it's running at an angle and does wonders for noise. Otherwise you need to cap the T and drill a vent hole to eliminate the gurgling/flushing sound.
I don't know why the pics didn't post in the thread. do the links work for ya?

hariii2

HEy dog,
I was looking at work earlier and I was filtered on the actual photo but they let me open the drawing. Now at home and I see the picture of the tank. I love it. That is what I am going to use. So the slight angle there really reduces the noise? Do you also have a drilled cap on the vent?