Drilling a tank

briand7878

I need some pretty quick help. Im buying a 220 tomorrow because i have to tear my other tank down anyway. Im getting new carpet so i figured id get a bigger tank too .
My question is what size bulkheads should i get. I would like to drill them at the top of the tank and would like to have 2 drain holes and 2 input holes. I know the drill bit size is different than the bulkhead size right? What size should the drain holes be and what size should the input be? Also, what size drill bit do i need for the size bulkhead. Thanks

windlasher

Originally Posted by BRIAND7878
http:///forum/post/2888955
I need some pretty quick help. Im buying a 220 tomorrow because i have to tear my other tank down anyway. Im getting new carpet so i figured id get a bigger tank too .
My question is what size bulkheads should i get. I would like to drill them at the top of the tank and would like to have 2 drain holes and 2 input holes. I know the drill bit size is different than the bulkhead size right? What size should the drain holes be and what size should the input be? Also, what size drill bit do i need for the size bulkhead. Thanks

DO NOT.... I REPEAT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRILL YOUR OWN TANK.
Even with the right equipment it is risky at best and if you don't know what you are doing you are going to end up on the floor in tears. Buy one already drilled...

You were warned.
SELF EDIT: - IF THE TANK IS "PLEXI" YOU MIGHT (AND I STRESS THE MIGHT) GET AWAY WITH IT.
IF IT IS GLASS MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT STANDS. DONT DO IT!!!

briand7878

Well, you have crushed my dreams for having a drilled tank. I am getting a pretty good deal on the one im getting and its not drilled. Can you take a tank to a professional and have them do it? I need some advice. Thanks

bpro32

There are people who have experience doing this but they would probably make you sign a waiver releasing them from liability before they will agree to drill it. Good Luck

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by BRIAND7878
http:///forum/post/2889332
Well, you have crushed my dreams for having a drilled tank. I am getting a pretty good deal on the one im getting and its not drilled. Can you take a tank to a professional and have them do it? I need some advice. Thanks
Drilling isn't a big deal.. just make sure the glass isn't tempered and you use NEW holes saws!!! .. go really slow and keep the bit and glass wet and cooled... check out glass-holes stuff its awesome they even have a forum for their product and can answer any questions about it... dont let windlasher ruin your good time, he probably tried drilling a walmart tank and is still sore lol..

I cant believe I am saying this but +1 to Rotary, drilling your own tank is not that hard, I take some puddy or playdoh and make a circle dam around where you are going to drill, place a towel on the inside the tank where the drilled piece will fall, make sure you a have a new hole saw for glass, and fill the dam with water and drill away, it will take a while to get all the way through the tank, just keep some light pressure on the drill and be patient. Keep water in the dam and drill away, I have done many of these and never had a problem.

mantisman51

I would be wary of self-drilling.The glass shop in the small city (Sierra Vista) I am close to (20 miles) was going to charge a basic $50 service call to come out and drill the holes for me.I ended up using a HOB overflow, but I'm sure in most areas it would be even less.The glass shop said they had drilled tanks for plumming dozens of times and they were insured, so if the tank broke, they would replace it.

pimpnfish

Glass holes is the way to go, it seems.
DO NOT drill the bottom as it is tempered. The back should be ok. No guarantee tho. Check into it yourself.