Drilling my tank

I am building up a 40 gallon breeder(probably going to be set up next march) and i was wondering, are there places where i can get my tank drilled. I dont want to buy a drilled tank online because i know the shipping is going to be a lot, so im buying it from *****. I dont want to drill the tank myself because ive never drilled a tank and if i break it i will be spending another 80$ on a tank.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by kajunsausage
http:///forum/post/3217443
I am building up a 40 gallon breeder(probably going to be set up next march) and i was wondering, are there places where i can get my tank drilled. I dont want to buy a drilled tank online because i know the shipping is going to be a lot, so im buying it from *****. I dont want to drill the tank myself because ive never drilled a tank and if i break it i will be spending another 80$ on a tank.
You could check with you LFS ,However i would drill it yourself.
Its really easy to do.
Glass-holes.com

handbanana

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/3217449
You could check with you LFS ,However i would drill it yourself.
Its really easy to do.
Glass-holes.com
+1 Very Easy. Grab an old tank or a cheap ten gal and pratice on that.
Make sure you have a variable speed drill!

gill again68

If you really dont want to drill it yourself call some local glass shops. Somone will be able to help you. I with the others though in thinking you could drill it yourself. I saw a great tutorial on youtube by limpits.
good luck.

clintjj

Drilling a tank is easy to do. Make sure it's not tempered glass!!! buy a 10 gallon tank to pratice on you will have 5 sides to try it on and if you can drill 10 you can drill anything!! Put lots of water and go slow hold the drill stady and don't apply a lot of force.

Is it glass or acrylic? I think you could do it yourself if you've worked a power drill before.
Search youtube. There are quite a few vids on how to do it. Make sure to keep the hole saw wet. Some people use play dough or plummers putty to make a ring around the area where you want to drill. They then fill the ring with water. This creats a little "moat" around the area you are drilling. Let the saw do the cutting, you don't need to push down hard. Also, place something soft underneath where you are cutting to catch the piece of glass.
If you really don't want to do it, most glass shops or your local fish store can probably drill it for you.