Drilling tank ?

guppie

I am getting ready to setup a new tank, I have always use overflow boxes in the past, but this time I wanted to make more room in the tank so I am going to go with a bulkhead overflow, my question is how far from the top sould it be, I have seen a couple of different tank and they all seem to be a little bit different. If you use the bulkhead with a 90 how do you stop the tolit noise? Thanks for your info in advance.

thedogofwa

heres a sketch with a T installed in the back. I found that if you're running around 50% of the drains capacity, angling the drain plumbing will kill the nosie dramatically. But if you're pushing a higher % than that, you can place a cap on top and drill a hole to muffle the sound but still allow air to escape.

thedogofwa

hole placement will depend on the drain size and the "takeoff" of the PVC. It is also dependent on your pumps GPH and where you would like the waterline to be, as well as tank size.
on my 75 I used 2-1" drains and my slots are cut about 1/4" into the 90. running 600 GPH the water lvl sits just at the top of the 90s. Each 1" will drain about 600 GPH so I'm sitting at about 50% capacity.
as well as drain sizes and pump volume, your tanks surface area equates into the water lvl increase during operation. my 75 is 48"x18" for reference.
HTH