Drip Acclimate?

fishpoor

Originally Posted by florida joe
I am assuming your QT and 200 are cycled even so watch the bio load you are introducing with the large number of fish you are adding all at once you may want to add a chemical to change the ammonia from a toxic form to a non toxic form also what do you mean by an empty 200 are you just talking about fish
Yes joe, just empty of fish! I am setting up a another 10 gal that I have, could I use water and sand from my 200 gl. and it be another QT? or would it still have to cycle first?
Thanks

tarball

Originally Posted by Fishpoor
This is what I have coming today,
Cleaner Wrasse
Hawaiian Blue Puffer
Blonde Naso Tang
Rectangular Trigger
Mandarin Dragonet
Orange Line Chromis x4

IMO, I would skip Qting the fish. There is no way you can QT 9 fish in a 10 gallon uncycled tank. The ammonia will be out of control & not to mention the stress added from cramped quarters. I would prepare the fish to be added directly to the 200 DT.
I would head to the local hardware store & buy 3..2 1/2 gallon buckets for acclimation. I would place 4 Chromis in one bucket,..Mandarin, Wrasse, & Tang in another bucket, Puffer & trigger in the 3rd bucket. & acclimate all 3 buckets for 3 hrs.
After acclimation is finished I would add fish directly to DT except 1 chromis. I would then fill the QT up with water from DT with 1 LR from the DT. No sand. Then i would add the last chromis to QT while tank cycles. If you do not want to take chance with last chromis in QT, replace him with a damsel in QT. Make sure you check readings in QT until cycled.
When ammonia gets high in QT, do the water changes with DT water.
Good luck ......... Just my opinion

bjoe23

I float the bag for about 30 min, then i get a small dixie cup and get about a half of it from the tank and pour it in the bag, i do this every 1-2 minutes for about 10-12 minutes, works for me, never had any problems

florida joe

I mean no disrespect but putting those fish in a 200g with out going through a quarantine period is just a ticking time bomb

fishpoor

Well I acclimated them in four different buckets, one for the chromis and the mandarin, one for the puffer, one for the trigger, one for the wrasse and the tang. I put them all in the 200, we will see what happens. (I didn't see joes post till this morning) So far everyone is eating great! My damsel is less than impressed but he is dealing! I will keep you updated! Thanks so much!

renogaw

the problem isn't with them getting along, it's with the possibility of having introduced ich to your system, and how impossible it will be to get them out of your tank, especially how tall your tank is

fishpoor

Yeah I understand, I messed up
but my father had already bought me the fish and I was in a bad spot. I will say my prayers and cross my fingers...we will see!

tarball

I think Fishpoor was correct by adding the fish directly to the DT after acclimation. Should she of had a QT ready for the fish to go in on arrival. Yes, but that was not the case. There is no way Fishpoor can add 9 fish to a 10g QT especially if its uncycled.
That would of meant certain death for most of the fish. It takes time to cycle a tank, even a 10g tank, & just because a person can put water in a QT from the DT does not mean the QT is cycled. I know that for a fact.
It will be up to Fishpoor to get a QT tank set up & get it cycled incase of signs of ich.
It will be extremely important for Fishpoor to keep the water conditions perfect for the health of the fish. That way the fish will remain stress free & keep a protective slime coating which will protect the fish from ich if it was introduced into the system.
Fishpoor will need to keep a close eye on the puffer, trigger, &
tang for signs of ich, they will be the first to show problems & the easiest to catch.
The way I see it, Fishpoor had no choice. They did not have a QT ready. I emphasize once again. There is no way Fishpoor can put 9 fish in a 10g uncycled tank.
9 fish + 10g uncycled tank= bad news
Doesn't make since to put 9 fish in a uncycled 10g tank when there is a 200 gallon cycled tank ready for fish.

florida joe

Ok then it boils down to this can you treat your DT like a QT do you have live sand do you have inverts anything that will not live through hypo if not then add your fish start lowering your salinity and treat all your fish as if you did have ick you have nothing to loose and every thing to gain

renogaw

i really wish you would take that mandarin (if you got it) to any lfs near you. either that or start making pods...it truly is going to starve in such a new tank :(

tarball

Can Fishpoor go to the LFS & buy tiger pods and add them directly to the DT for support of the mandarin?

fishpoor

Renogaw, I bought a 1000 live copepods and added most of them to the DT, I am breading some of them in my small 20 gal. I have 200 lbs of LR in the Dt that came from an established aquarium and I assume already had some copepods living there already. We are on day 4 and he looks great! I Love my little mandarin!

buckster71

Best thing is to be diligent when you shop for fish.
IF they are swimming strong and eating well, then they probably have been quarentined by a proper LFS owner/staff. That is the only problem I see buying fish online.
Most people I see post on here say..well, I know I should have watched him eat...but...
Most LFS shops are fish in in one night out the next morning. Maybe you can find one to hold your fish, but that is asking too much as it will probably be sold an hour later.
Best off to find a LFS that won't sell you a fish that hasn't been in his tank for at least 14 days, or at least advise you how long the fish was in his tanks. Luckily I found a decent place for that (as it is more the salesman)