drip acclimating the best?

sirgunther

i just float the bag in the tank for about 3 hours.. then every 30-45 minutes i add some of my tank water to the bag.. Not to much, maybe about 1/2 to a full cup, depending on the size of the bag...

sw65galma

Originally posted by sprang
whats the best way to add a new fish in my tank? I've read a lot of drip acclimation.

Drip is the best way for sensitive fish.
And unless you know every fish you ever buy is sensitive...then just do it to all of them.
You can do the way the guy above said...but like I said..it does work well for all fish..
Especially stars HAVE TO be dripped for 6+hours...There is NO OTHER WAY. Do not use the dump the water in the bag method.

sw65galma

Originally posted by sirgunther
i just float the bag in the tank for about 3 hours.. then every 30-45 minutes i add some of my tank water to the bag.. Not to much, maybe about 1/2 to a full cup, depending on the size of the bag...

This works on a lot of fish...but I wouldn't try this on your prize $150+ fish....
Drip is the safest and least stressfull way..

nm reef

I agree drip acclamation is the best method...I'd also suggest a 6 week quarentine before placement in a established display. just to be safe.

sw65galma

Originally posted by NM reef
I agree drip acclamation is the best method...I'd also suggest a 6 week quarentine before placement in a established display. just to be safe.

sprang

I think I understand everything except won't the water in the bucket get too cold while it's dripping?

sw65galma

Originally posted by sprang
I think I understand everything except won't the water in the bucket get too cold while it's dripping?

For a 1-2hour fish drip...probably not...
But for the longer drips YES.
Best thing is get a small Air pump and stone and a small 5 gal submersible heater and toss those in the bucket.
Make sure the heater sits in there 15min before you turn it on...and have it Pre-set for your tank temp.
This is what I do...

cowfishrule

Originally posted by sw65galma
Especially stars HAVE TO be dripped for 6+hours...There is NO OTHER WAY. Do not use the dump the water in the bag method.

whoops
mine the the cup o' water in the bag every few minutes treatment. and 5 weeks later, no problems

sw65galma

Originally posted by COWFISHRULE
whoops
mine the the cup o' water in the bag every few minutes treatment. and 5 weeks later, no problems

Brittle star? despite thier name they are probably the hardiest of the stars..And I could see them living...
Try that on a Fomia or a Linkia and you'd have a pile of muck by morning..

blemmy_guy

Ive tried all the ways and drip probly the best, and most places like Salt Water Fish .com, if you order fish from them, if you dont use the drip method, you void there 6 day live fish warranty!

spline9

Luckily, I have a good friend in the vet/med industry. She hooked me up with an IV rig. Works well for dripping. :)

malounsbury

Originally posted by spline9
Luckily, I have a good friend in the vet/med industry. She hooked me up with an IV rig. Works well for dripping. :)

Group buy?

sprang

:cheer: I can get an I.V. will that work better? I think it might, because the drip can be controlled.

birdy

I have had serious issues of water getting too cold while doing the drip method in a bucket. So anymore I do the drip method in the bag while the bag is floating in the sump. Heat pack under the bucket is a good idea.
I would have to say be careful putting an airstone in the bucket, if you do that in a small amount of water you will cause the pH to spike. been there done that, they will be fine without the airstone.

peggy

I use the drip method and to keep the water the same temp as the QT I place a heating pad underneath my 3 gallon bucket. Start out on low temp and as the water level rises I move to medium temp. Have been able to acclimate 4 hours with no more than a 1 degree drop in temp. I then keep in QT for 3 weeks.