Drip Kalk or additives???

lv-reefer

My tank has been running now for about 4 months and I was wondering if I should start to drip kalk, add additives, or wait longer. Here's the specs and water readings.
Setup:
40 gal
110 watt PC, 1 blue, 1 day bulb
50 lbs FL LR / 25 lbs Fiji LR
2-3 inch LS bed
Bak-Pak skimmer, 2 pwr heads
Penguin bio-wheel filter used more for water movement, no filter cartridge inserted
Inhabitants:
30 Nass snails
5 scarlet Hermits
2 pepermint shrimps
2 Condy's
just removed 1 purple tang and 3 damsels
going to place an order here tomorrow for:
10 more scarlet hermits
2 perc clowns
2 emerald crabs
3 Ricordea polps
1 queen conch
I do a 4 gal water change once a week and I use RO water from the local store dispenser.
Here is my water readings:
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
CA 325
PH 8.0
P04 - .45
KH 7.7
Alk 2.74
Should I start to drip Kalk??? Please provide any suggestions.
Thanks,
Tom and Sandy

nayr

I'M PRETTY NEW AT THIS ALSO BUT I STARTED INCREASING MY CALCIUM ABOUT THE SAME TIME I ADDED MY FIRST CORALS AND STARTED DRIPPING KALK AT THE SAME TIME. MY CALCIUM JUMPED TO ABOUT 700 ALMOST OVER NIGHT. I WOULD GET MY PH UP TO ABOUT 8.3 OR 8.4 THOUGH. I NORMALLY DRIP KALK AT NIGHT WHEN THE PH IS NORMALLY LOWER ALSO. KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM STILL NEW AT THIS THOUGH BUT I DO HAVE PRISTINE WATER CONDITIONS B/C I JUST REMOVED MY PENGUINES AND REPLACED THEM WITH A 20G SUMP/REFUG. WORKS GREAT:happy:

lv-reefer

Thanks Kip,
I actually found your thread on dripping Kalk and have it saved on my computer as a reference - very helpful.
So I'm guessing my tank has been running long enough to start using additives?
My FL LR is covered with Coraline, the Fiji has some and my base rock is starting to get some growth.
I wish I had the room to add a fuge, but hopefully by the end of the year, after I buy my first house I will have the room and will actually use this 40 as my fuge after I purchase a 125-150 gal tank.
Doh.... I went to place my order here and they are now sold out of the ricordea's and percula clowns. They were available like 30 min ago when I was checking the site.
I'll take your advise on the queen and get the fighting one instead.
Do they sell B-ionic on here? What is it called and who makes it if I goto my LFS to look for it?
Thanks for all the help

nayr

THAT WAS PRETTY INTERESTING KIP. THANKS ALOT.
I DON'T HAVE TOO MANY CORALS (ALL LPS), NOT ENOUGH LIGHT YET, BUT HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH ON THE CA LEVEL IN A TANK WITH NOT ALOT OF CORALS? IS 600 TO 800 TOO HIGH?

lv-reefer

Thanks Kip... just more stuff to buy :rolleyes:
I have a $40 credit at my LFS, looks like it's going towards supplies - B-ionic, Mag test kit, Mag additive and refractormeter