Driving distance to pick up new fish

hot883

Originally Posted by airforceb2
How long has your tank been up? Define perfect water parameters. Do you have a test kit or is your LFS employee telling you that it is perfect?
The tank was set up last week about Wed. or so. The LFS tests water for free and I kinda trust this guy, since he owns it and has been there for 25 years, his son cleans and installs tanks for a living. He tells me that everything (water) is perfect except for the calcium. He said I could add fish now but might be better to get the calcium up first so we are not trying to battle different things all at once.

hot883

Originally Posted by ReefNut
What are the "perfect" parameters?? I agree adding rock each week could prolong the cycle. Even if the rock is cured, that doesn't mean it has adequate bacteria.
When transporting the rock wrapping it with wet paper towels will help minimize the die off.
When i bought my other rock they placed it in a styro container and covered it with wet newspaper. I placed it into the tank right away when I got home with doing nothing to it.

airforceb2

Obviously this guy is suckering you. He is selling you this "calcium" that you sprinkle in your tank. That is BS. As the owner of the store, he wants your money. I would get a test kit and see where your levels are and then bump them against his numbers.
P.S. If you just set up your tank...you are far from ready for fish. You still have another 3 weeks at least before you are ready for fish.

hot883

Originally Posted by airforceb2
Obviously this guy is suckering you. He is selling you this "calcium" that you sprinkle in your tank. That is BS. As the owner of the store, he wants your money. I would get a test kit and see where your levels are and then bump them against his numbers.
P.S. If you just set up your tank...you are far from ready for fish. You still have another 3 weeks at least before you are ready for fish.
So, if I go with the raw shrimp in my tank, when do I take it out, or does it rot away on it's own. Test the water when? These ideas are very new to me so I really appreciate everyones HELP. Will the shrimp help that much? I know when dealing with setting up a tank, Slow is the way to go!

airforceb2

You will need some way to kick off an ammonia cycle. Either with a shrimp or by feeding the tank flake food. If you chose to do the shrimp method, keep the shrimp in for about 3 days or so. Till it really starts to rot and then yank it out. Test the water every 3 days or so. Test for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Phosphates and pH. Also, get a hydrometer if you don't already have one.