Druluv's Reef Odyssey

druluv

After about a year of operation of my 125Gallon Mixed Reef, I feel I owe it to fellow reefers, newbies and oldies, to try and document much of the work I did to set-up my reef, for others to learn, and for others to add creative criticism. I have learned so much from SWF that I want to also contributed to the collective knowledge on this forum.
Here is my Equipment List:
Custom Tank 125 Gallon 48 X 24 X24
Reefugium Sump 48L X 24W
Filtration:
Aqua-C Protein Skimmer
Sea Chem Purigen, Rowaphos, Carbon Reactors
Live Rock- Fuji, Marshall, Tonga Branch
Water Flow:
Wave2k – Wave Box
Tunze – Wave Box
Tunze – (2) 6000 Streams
Tunze – 7095 Wave Maker Controller
I just love flow.
Water Cooling:
Pacific Coasts ½ hp chiller
Good Value Chiller and Reef Saver
Lighting:
48 PFO Metal Halide Hood w/ 400 Watt Pulse Start Ballast
(2) - 10k Ushio 400 Watt bulbs
(2) – Corallife Actinic Bulbs NO
I stole the lighting spec from BrooklynJohnny
. Use 10k for growth and blue light supplementation to bring out coral pigments. I was surprised to see how bright the tank look when I fired these bulbs. Sps seem to like this set-up too!!!

I’ll have pics of the tank later. :jumping:

druluv

I'm Starting to put together my ocean Motions 4 way Super Squirt (OM). I still have some dead spots around the tank, and I wanted to replace my 3 maxi-jets. I'm using a 1200 GHP External Pump to drive the OM Drum. I also have 2 OM products called "revolutions".
From OM Product Description:
"revolutions" are revolutionary devices in more ways than one. This unit was designed with patented technology to make fuller use of the operation of the 8-way and to enable a completely new concept in water moving technology with the 4-way.
Each time water is diverted to the unit it lowers itself downward into the tank by 1/2 inch and indexes 45 degrees, returning upwards when the water pressure is reduced.
It rotates in this manner and gives superior coverage to many areas of the tank.

druluv

Here are some pics of my tank with Atinics on.
Photo 2 shows the wave 2k box. I just ordered the upgrade replacement pulley wheels that drive the wave box. This replacement is suppose to make the the box run quieter and more dependable. I have broken to many belts trying to adjust this box. I haven't been that impress by this product. The problem is that concept is a good one, however, the execution hasn't come through. When the wave box is working the flow pattern beats any other wave maker on the market. This box makes the most realistic wave I' ve seen.
Photo 3
Tunze box location

druluv

I'm still working on the OM super squirt, but I got bored. So I got some live rock and bought a cardinal, and a royal gramma.

druluv

Now I have a problem, My blasto seems to be in a predicament. Apparently, one of my monti's have grown on the fleash of my blasto. What should I do?

druluv

Originally Posted by GregM779
The tanks looking great! It's come a long way
You are not doing so bad yourself. It took me a whole day of work to read your thread over on the other board. lol

druluv

:jumping: Just finished installing OM super squirt. It took 4 hours to complete. I ran two ports underneath the sandbed through the two 45 degree angle pvc connection that leads to the front of the tank, and the other two on opposite sides of the tank. I hope the flow is enough to replace the three maxi-jets I have there now.

druluv

After running the closed loop for over 8 hour I still notice I have air bubbles running through out the lines. Any suggestions on how to get the air bubbles out?

druluv

I have air coming through the 2 sand bed manifold pipes, I 'm going to try and find a way to glue the pipes without pour glue into the water.

druluv

Here is a pic of the super squirt and one the revolutions. I ran out PVC parts to connect the last one.

druluv

I also have home work, I bought some reef plugs and reef disk. While cutting back some of my coral growth, I'll be able to glue some of the frags and share with other reefers; when I'm set up I you can pass by and trade corals. I'm building up my stock now. Here's a pic of a frag tank I bought for 50 dollars from my LFS. Its 24X23X24.
I also got a new book, I'll get to find out all the things I have been doing wrong. :thinking:
I have other task to do. I swap out all my refugium lights. 1 10K 65 watt PC, 2 18 Watt NO BUlbs. I picked blue moon actinics to replace the NO bulbs. I got the idea from "Garf". I'm also swapping out the NO Bulbs over my Display tank with URI VHO 110Watt Bulbs. BrooklynJohnny's tank Bright 10k MH with as much blue supplemention from vhos
I have to add a float switch for my salt water container. I bought a 32 gallon trash can(plastic of couse) to do my water changes with. I think it would be a good idea to buy wheels for these trash cans, to make moving around easier.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by druluv
Now I have a problem, My blasto seems to be in a predicament. Apparently, one of my monti's have grown on the fleash of my blasto. What should I do?

Dremel them apart. Tank looks great.

druluv

Originally Posted by promisetbg
Just cut the monti away from the blasto...the blasto will heal..and so will the monti.
thanks for the info promisetbg :joy:
With the bubbles on my closed loop, I think the intake pipe flow was too slow. I think 1" pipe has the gph of 1000, however, my pump genx pcx 40 pumps about 1200. I feel that the pump was pumping more than it was getting. I should of used bigger return pipes ,1 1/2in, to return water back to my closed loop pipe. lesson learned. :notsure:

druluv

Please note: IMO Please don't invest in the scwd, it is a piece of crap. The one I replaced seems like it got clog. Being clog is cool, not being able to clean it is not! This wanna be wave maker, body housing is sealed making impossible to clear out anything jamming it. It is a waste.