Dry rock

How long does it take for dry rock to become beneficial for a tank? I have been told a year form some and 3 months from others.

Is there a way to speed up the process if I have a tank full of just dry rock with no fish or anything?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Add some live rock to the dry and the dry will quickly be a new frontier for populations from the live.

lmforbis

I agree one piece of live rock will do wonders to populate the dry rock. You can also add a bottled bacteria like Dr Tim’s. It will get the bacteria cultures going for your biological filtration but it won’t help with the other types of life that you’d get from live rock.

Okay I added a piece of liverock from my established tanks sump. Will put some bio chem in over the weekend and let her ride for a few weeks

geridoc

When I last cycled dry rock using Moe's method, it took 4-6 weeks after adding ammonium chloride before ammonium and nitrite levels fell to zero. Other than the ammonium chloride you add nothing under this system, so that's how long it takes if starting from dry rock.

Well I have no rush on my dry rock system so I will let it go how ever long it needs. Any ideas on good colorful fish with outgoing personalities for a 54 corner fish only tank. I have a lot of white dry rock with more caves and hiding holes than can be counted

geridoc

Flame hawkfish-loaded with personality, colorful, highly interactive and hearty. My wife's favorite fish.