Dry salt build up

Chris Morton

How do you stop dry salt from building up on the top part on glass cover I have to clean the dry salt like every weekend

lmforbis

I don't use a glass cover. It can interfere with oxygenation of the water. I have a hood over my tank that is open on top. Years ago I did use a glass top and I did have to wash it every week. I did even worse than that because I was using tap water and the crap on the glass wasn't just salt it was standard hard water build up. I had to use an acid based cleaner to get it off. Times have changed and I know lot more. I don't cover my tanks near the water and I don't use tap water. I do lay a sheet of acrylic on the top of my hood, under the lights to keep the humidity down in my house. I was feeling like I lived in a steam room. The acrylic sits at least 8 inches above the water and I never get any residue from salt on it.

flower

Hi,

Salt-creep means you have splash, eliminate the splash and the salt-creep won't build up. You shouldn't cover a saltwater tank, it should be left open, as Imforbis said.

Chris Morton

Yeah but won't the bubbles from the filter pop when they get to the top and go on the outside and dry out and build up more dry salt

lmforbis

What kind of filter do you use? You may get some salt that manages to get to the wall or the outside of the tank. In my experience it is minimal and it just takes a wet rag to wipe it off. When it deposits on glass lids it prevents light from getting through. bulk reef supply sells kits to make a screen top that will probably help some.

flower

Yeah but won't the bubbles from the filter pop when they get to the top and go on the outside and dry out and build up more dry salt
Salt-creep is kind of a way of life for us SW tank lovers. The more splash, the more salt buildup. You shouldn't have "bubbles" that pop when it hits the surface. A screen won't help either...LOL...tried that.

Power heads churn the water to oxygenate it, this causes a little build up on the tank rim. The filter (depending on what type) should have at most just a little splash, again...this causes some build up on the rim. It wipes easy with a damp rag once a week. I kept seahorses, that meant I used an air-line that created bubbles, but that isn't a normal SW set up.

Can you tell us details about your tank set up? We can help you better with more info on your equipment.