DSB help

sagxman

I think I'm looking for quite a bit of technical info related to a DSB.
I just did a tank upgrade and started with a new LS bed of about 3 inches. I want to take advantage of the DSB to its fullest extent if possible so I don't want to add the wrong "critters".
There is currently no livestock in the tank. I seem to have quite a few bristle worms which I am happy about.
It seems I should stay away from burrowing fish such as diamond gobies. Do I also need to stay away from burrowing snails that shift the sand or do they not go deep enough to matter?
This is my first attempt at a DSB so any and all informal education is greatly appreciated. Feel free to teach me as if I know nothing about the concept. I don't want to accidentally do the wrong thing.

culp

its fine to have fish that burrow in a tank with a DSB. if you have a DSB its best to have fish like diamond goby because they help stir the top layer of the sand to help keep it clean.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by Culp
http:///forum/post/2876665
its fine to have fish that burrow in a tank with a DSB. if you have a DSB its best to have fish like diamond goby because they help stir the top layer of the sand to help keep it clean.
in a 29g? sounds like the sandbed microfauna will get depleted really quickly with a diamond goby..

sagxman

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2876672
in a 29g? sounds like the sandbed microfauna will get depleted really quickly with a diamond goby..
That's what I'm worried about. I was thinking about a diamond goby or a jawfish. After a bit of research I think this might defeat the purpose of the DSB.
Any other animals I should avoid? Also, any brief explanations about how a DSB works would be appreciated and I'm sure some newbies could get some good education along with me.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by Culp
http:///forum/post/2876665
Not a good idea..
Actually gobys not only do they have an appetite for crustaceans they also dig into sandbeds a little bit too deep. which disturbs microbial colonies.. resulting in polluted water column with nitrogeous gases which are toxic to marine organisms.
snails species such as Nassarius snails are ok, they do a good job keeping the top layers of sandbed aerated and also aid in turning over the top layers. giving u a clean white sandbed..
You want sand shifters Not sand sifters..

sagxman

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
http:///forum/post/2876692
snails species such as Nassarius snails are ok, they do a good job keeping the top layers of sandbed aerated and also aid in turning over the top layers. giving u a clean white sandbed..
You want sand shifters Not sand sifters..
I think that answered my main question. I didn't know if the Nassarius snails would dig too deep or not. I assume a cucumber would be ok as well since it's only munching on the top areas of the sand. A little bummed about not having the goby, but at least I don't have to add the eggcrate to the top of the tank to keep them from jumping.
DSB 101 education is still appreciated. Or any links to past threads. Thanks everyone.

aztec reef

A good rule is at least 4" deep... 3" will do, but the odds of getting to the lower parts increases as the infauna has only 1" to work with..(before getting to the danger zone)
The top 2" of sandbed is where the Nitrification processes occur.( aerobic zone) oxygen rich. also its where fauna stroll.
The bottom 2" of sandbed are to always remain untouched, this is where Nitrates get process . aka Denitrification. (anaerobic zone) oxygen poor.
It is extremely important to prevent disturbance of the bottom 2"..This is where most sediments end up.. this anoxic zone is toxic and its composed of nitrogen and sulfur by-products.. This is where most rookies tend to fail with sandbeds .. As soon as they disturb all those impurities at the lower parts of sandbeds they come back and post a thread saying "HELP! My tank crashed".

aztec reef

Grain size is important too.
It has been noted by experts, It is best to use the finer sugar-sized sand aka oolite sand at the top layers, thus enables fauna to commute yet it reduces the amount of sediments penetrating the bed due to the smaller grain size.
U can use a little bigger grain size at the bottom layers (1mm-2mm)
When setting up the bed:
The finer the grains the shallower u can go, In bigger sized sand grains the deeper u must go..
If u use all sugar-sized,(0.5-1mm) 3" deep is plenty..
If you use bigger grains(1mm-2mm) 4" deep is needed.
The pourpose is to have the most available surface area , rather than the deepest or the shallower bed..
2"deep is the minimal, and 5" deep would be the optimal.
less than 1" deep sandbed is only for looks.(with little amount of Nitrification) and 0 Denitrification.
sanbeds deeper than 5" are a waste of sand. Also it would have a larger area for sediments to accumulate in the anaerobic zone.. this is another way dsb's crash.
When they're too deep, the denitrification bacterias outcompetes the nitrification bacterias..resulting in higher yields of accumulated toxic waste. This creates an inbalance, in addition it deminishes efficientcy of the Nitrogen cycle and overall tank's natural biofiltration... Thats the opposite of a stable matured tank..

aztec reef

I hear u, it takes alot of planning and patience. But hey, anything challenging is worth while..
I have daily rituals where i sit in front of my tanks and have 1 on 1 conversations.. When buildng a reef, you have to play God..

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
http:///forum/post/2876760
I hear u, it takes alot of planning and patience. But hey, anything challenging is worth while..
I have daily rituals where i sit in front of my tanks and have 1 on 1 conversations.. When buildng a reef, you have to play God..

ROFL...
I talk to my frogs hahaha.. "I better see some eggs tonight or you're all getting fed off, ya hear?"

str8salt

I have a solution that might help. We use a mesh layer to create a barrier for burrowing critters that might dig too deep. Works great. We are switching my reef over to a dsb in about a week. I will post pictures if anyone is interested.