DSB

wolffam

Have 135 gallon reef tank. LFS says that I don't need anything on the bottom. But it looks like I need about 4 - 5" of LS based on what I've been reeding. Any opinions are welcome. What type of LS is recommended and how much would I need? Also, would I need to raise my rocks above the sand or just pour it in and let it partially bury the LR?

bobber

You would definately benefit from a DSB with better denitrification. 4 or 5 inches would be good. Remember that is also alot of poundage. 10% of that needs to be live. Aragonite sand, IMO, is the best sand to use. Preferably, oolite, sugar sized. Don't forget detrivore kits!
Raising the rocks will benefit your corals because they will be closer to the light without having to buy more LR. But this part is up to you and will work both ways. HTH--Bob

burnnspy

I run a plenum(hand built) in my tanks, they require 4" of aragonite and don't need detrivores.
BurnNSpy

raderman

If your set-up was fish only, I would go without a substrate. But since it is reef, a DSB would be ideal but expensive for that size of aquarium. I think it would be a good investment towards success, IMHO.
C-Ya

miek

I hear some talk about detrivore kits. What do they consist of and where can I get them?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You don't really need or want to bury any LR in the substrate, as the "live" part that gets burried, will be dead, as coraline is not going grow below the substrate line. And since LR is expense, why bury any of it in the substrate? Instead, lay your foundation with base rock, which is dead, on the floor of the tank. Fill the areas around the base rock with all LS or sand that is seeded with LS, this will be around 5" of sand. Then, build the rest of your rock structure with the LR on top of the base rock, and above the substrate line. Any exposed base rock will then become "live" as the algae and micro-organism on LR will spread to the dead rock.
You can go substrateless, however, this is not as visually appealing. If you are going to fill up your tank with mostly rock, then this won't matter as much as you won't have much floor space anyway. Algae will eventually cover the floor of a substrateless tank; this type of setup is also a lot easier to clean.
Using a deep sand bed [DBS], you will need what is referred to as "detrivore kits" which is basically substrate burrowing creatures that sift thru the sand and eat the debris within the stand. This site refers to these "kits" as "cleanup crews".
Be sure you have enough lighting to support LR, otherwise, your investment will be for naught!
:D
[ May 26, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

paulytee

First off I want to clarify that Im a reef newbie and these are my opinions... ;)
My first question is: how are your water parameters? Any problems? Is the water tests showing well? My reasoning is if you are showing elevated nitrites/trates then LS would be very beneficial. If your water is very good then I would consider LR and keep the glass bottom clear. Ive been doing my reading by Delbeek/Sprung(Vol. 1 Reef Aquarium), Tullocks Natural Reef Aquariums and Goldstein's Marine Reef Handbook and I really like all the suggestions.
Also, I was able to see a 55g reef with LR and a clear glass bottom. It was so interesting to see the shrimp 'skate' across the smooth surface! Another tank I thought was very interesting was a 125g reef with full amount of LR and approx. 60lbs of live sand seperated in small sand-like lagoons. It was enough LS for a pair of sleeper gobies, a pearly jawfish, and some LS(?) stars/sandy clean-up crews. Again, there was plenty of smooth glass for the shrimp to do their 'skating'!
I guess my point is if your parameters are good then go for it, have fun and be different, as long as it doesn't hurt your reef critters!!!
Happy reefing!!! Paulytee :D