Dual Metal Halide 250w ballasts??

Hey,
Does anyone know where I can find a good price on a dual 250w metal halide ballast.
Also should I get magnetic or eletronic ballasts.
I also need two mini PFO hoods.
Thanks in advance and if you have websites you can't post please e-mail them to me at:
SubaruWRXDriver@aol.com
Thanks,
Mike

reefnut

Cool Touch Lighting :) off of the auction site.
I haven't had them long enough to recommend them but the price is right...
They are magnetic, probe start ballasts...

reefnut

I've heard some good things about the HQI... I don't know much about them though. One thing to keep in mind...
* Do not mount "double ended" HQI type bulbs without a UV filtering glass shield!! This bulb will put out UV radiation which can damage your eyes and skin, as well as your animals in the tank. The bulb MUST BE burned behind a protective glass sheet.

Not sure what a EYE is?
Yes, cool touch has dual 250w units.

mebigloser

Please shoot me an email also, I am going to starting building my canopy in 2 weeks, starting to gather the equipment I will need.
Thanks Ron

cboyfan2020

reefnut , that is what I got too. For $190 shipped to my door of ----. Comes with ballast and wiring and mogul sockets. Found a cheap place with just spider reflectors or you can get them with the sockets.Reflectors are like $30 or cheaper if you get 2. DVskin, They are at that site I sent you about the Hot Pink Yuma's at the bottom of the page.

reefnut

Originally posted by golfish
If your going to use a 10K or 20K mogul base bulb then I would also suggest you use the HQI.....

Will the HQI ballast fire a 10k or 20k mogul base bulb? I may be wrong but I was thinking they were different ballasts.

I plan to use Ushio (sp?) 10k bulbs.
Does anyone know where I can get a mini PFO hood for a single ended bulb too.
Thanks,
Mike

reefnut

Shadow, do a search on HQI & Mogul setup in this forum. Some good info on HQI's. Sounds like it's the way to go if you have the $$.
golfish, I know your were giving Shadow the help but thanks for the info... ;)

E

elan

Originally posted by cboyfan2020
Reflectors are like $30 or cheaper if you get 2. DVskin, They are at that site I sent you about the Hot Pink Yuma's at the bottom of the page.

can you send me the link as well?? elan@barenboim.com thanks!

eeldarb21

i just got my dual 175 watt, from e-bay.. i got them from cool touch lighting. can't beat the price really...
i then bought two 175 watt 20,000k bulbs from hellolights..
they are located just like 2 hours north from me so i got the bulbs like 1 day after i ordered.. everything worked out fine .... good prices if you shop around
It always pays to shop around and research what your buying!!

reefnut

eeldarb, how do you like the 20k bulbs? I got the 10k and they look kinda yellow, even with 2- Actinic VHOs.