Dual Photoperiod?

hwttdz1

Can I split my photoperiod across 2 segments in the day? I'd like to do lights on maybe 7-9 and then again 4-10, for 8 hours a day. Right now all my tank has is live rock and algae.
Will this be ok when I eventually have fish/corals. Would it be better if I did 4/8/4/8 or 6/6/6/6 (light/dark/light/dark)?

reefiness

although i think it wouldn't matter now... but later down the line i dont think that would be good for the fish.

hwttdz1

I have power compact/metal halide combo, and can operate them independently. I've read that in a young tank its best to not have too intense lighting, so right now I'm only using the power compacts.
I figure corals and algae should be fine as they should only require a given period of dark every day (and I've even read of people successfully growing these under continuous light). Fish, inverts, even snails and hermits may be bothered, but I wouldn't figure this would be very high stress, so long as both "night" periods were approximately the same in duration, and the same for the "day" periods.
I'm curious to know more peoples' thoughts.

1journeyman

From observing the nocturnal activities in my tank I'd say it is a bad idea.
Fish and inverts need a natural routine.

reefiness

ok well being that you have the pc's i would think if you wanted something like 2 stronger photo periods you can have you halides come on at two different times during the pc period of light. but having complete darkness would definitely not be good. And i agree with journeyman where he says the seeing the nocturnal activities would put me against having the two periods

1journeyman

Originally Posted by hwttdz1
I figure corals and algae should be fine as they should only require a given period of dark every day (and I've even read of people successfully growing these under continuous light). ....
I really think corals would also be harmed long term too.

spanko

If I may ask why do you want to do this split with just two hours on one of the photo periods?

moneyman

I have a 2 MHs + 2 VHOs. The timer turns off just the 2 MHs when the temperature is too high. The 2 MH would be on again after 30 minutes. The 2 VHOs stay on the entire photoperiod.
During these wicked summer days, I would have about 2-3 cycles.