Dumb ole condi

fireeater

Well it happened. That guy has only moved about 5 inches since I put him in tank some time back.
I came home for lunch today and he was in his usual place. Then 3 hours later when I came back he was in power head.
He came out pretty easy though did not look so good. I let him fall to bottom of tank and current took him inot the rocks.
Here are 2 pics of him.
I thought I saw somewhere that someone had put something on the bottom of thier power head to keep this from happening?
Also I wonder what attracts them guys to powerheads? Of all the places to go in a tank, why the powerhead?

steve40

I dont know how your power heads came but if you get a maxi jet it comes with the component to put on the intake to prevent that from happening. I hope he stays alive. Good luck

fireeater

Actually they came with some conical shaped grill guards.
He did not get sucked up inot the powerhead itself as the guard stopped him I guess.

steve40

Ha, yeah i didnt think it got sucked up through the power head. Do those guys actually crawl around or do they attach themselves and stay for good?
If you are interested I think at the LFS they sell sponges that you can put over you intake of your PH to keep things from getting sucked up. I never bought them before but i heard of them, wouldnt hurt to ask.

fireeater

I have seen them at the lfs. I opted not to put one on, but for different reasons at first. Might be wise to use one now.
He is slowly making his way into the reef and out of site now. At least he is moving about.
I have heard of them getting caught all the way up into the impeller though.
Yep, the condis can move around alot when they want to. He has been doing good though staying put. Though you never know when one might pack it in and hit the road.
For some strange reason that road almost always leads to the powerhead!
hehe

michaeltx

mine did that and I pulled him out of the intake and the next day he was back to normal and hasnt moved since(I guess he learned his lessen LOL) but they move around the tank and the current will actually pull them up to it and suck them in. if they get to a place that is super ruff on the rock they will let go of the rock and float till they touch down and reattach and start walking around again.
Mike

nate_j

sorry about that better luck next time ...you know what i was thinking about getting one of those too!! second thoughts now

N

newreefers

I agree with Mike, they don't really go to the ph, more like they end up floating in the current and just get pulled in by accident. I know they are ugly, but the sponge covers for the ph really help this from happening.

fireeater

I will go down today and get the sponges.
Here he is back in his original spot. When I got him free from the powerhead I just let him float to the bottom. He has now made his way through the bottom of the reef back to his original spot.
A little beat up but looking better.