Dumb question about sealing a hole.

kjr_trig

I have a 34 gallon Brute Trash Can that I use to mix my water, I currently have a float valve set at 20 gallons for getting the RO/DI water in. I would like to move the float valve up to about 30 gallons, I would obviously have to drill a new hole which would leave a small hole where I previously had the float valve....A good way to seal the hole?

gill again68

Can you put a plastic screw or bolt in there and put aquarium safe silicone on that? That would do it I would think.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Gill again68
http:///forum/post/3207950
Can you put a plastic screw or bolt in there and put aquarium safe silicone on that? That would do it I would think.
I was just going to suggest this... a large nylon bolt and washer would work. You could also use a bulkhead fitting with a PVC plug cemented or screwed into it. Honestly I'd tend to want to use the latter, since silicon probably won't adhere to the can very well.
Or retire the can to actual trash can duty and get a new one rather than messing around with it. I've got two like that.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3208668
I was just going to suggest this... a large nylon bolt and washer would work. You could also use a bulkhead fitting with a PVC plug cemented or screwed into it. Honestly I'd tend to want to use the latter, since silicon probably won't adhere to the can very well.
Or retire the can to actual trash can duty and get a new one rather than messing around with it. I've got two like that.
I actually have 2, one to store the mixed water, and the other to hold the "removed water" from the tank, I suppose I could switch the float valve to the other one, but then they both have holes in them

t316

SCSI had it....They make bulk heads with the s.crew in plug. Just use pvc cement to make it permanent.
That, or just tell wifey to 'hold finger right here and don't move'...