Dumb Question????

calvindo

sure, but why would you do such a thing? besides, the top of your tank is usually warmer then other parts of your tank.
dumb question...

bang guy

Originally posted by calvindo
besides, the top of your tank is usually warmer then other parts of your tank.
dumb question...

Why would the top of your tank be warmer?

nm reef

I suppose you could...but why not use one designed for marine aquarium applications. I use a relatively inexpensive digital on the displayand a submersiable type in the sump and refugium.
I'd also be curious why the top is warmer than the bottom...heat spreads pretty evenly thru water and if you have decent flow/circulation the temp should be fairly evenly spread.:thinking:

aarone

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Why would the top of your tank be warmer?

i was wondering the same thing

doris

sure, but why would you do such a thing? besides, the top of your tank is usually warmer then other parts of your tank.
dumb question...

dumb response.

reaper10

The only concern about using a floating pool thermometer vs a floating aquarium thermometer is exposed metals??? wierd glues?? algicides imbedded into the plastic (this is the big concern to me)??
IMHO temperature fluctuations from -6 inches to -12 inches in your 18? 24? inch tank are negligable with good circulation.
My 2cents
Reaper10

reaper10

dumb question...

Calvindo, where do you stick your thermometer to get an accurate reading?
Ours is floating, where should I stick mine? to get an accurate reading in my 18" tall tank???
Reaper10

aarone

you should put it in the water....the only way the temp would differ in your tank...is if it is very large and you only have one heater

spmnarciso

Hey guys, the reason I ask is because I mix my water change water in a open-top 55G plastic drum and it would be easier to have a one of those large plastic pool thermometers to monitor temp. Should I really be concerned about the plastic that they use?

bang guy

I wouldn't be concerned at all. My only concern was if you were using it for your display tank. The accuracy of pool thermometers is suspect at best.