Dumb thing to ask...but

fatmatt

Well still lookin around readin things before i set up my tank and have bin seeing corals stinging other corals, so is it possible for corals to sting you? Should you not touch them bare hands? use a tool? explain plz. ty

bigarn

yep ... some corals will sting you. the best thing to do is to wear gloves when you put your hands in the tank.

R

reeffer

or you could just wash your hands before putting them in the tank. there are only a handfull of corals that could even sting you. ( i doubt you'll ever be putting one in your tank )
It is important to know how they can effect each other though, so when placing coral be sure to give them room.

reefkprz

they almost all sting you just most dont have powerful enough nematocysts to penetrate the dermal layers of human skin (which is suprisingly tough) gloves are a good Idea because of the bacterial breeding ground that the corals are just look up vibrio and pseudomonas.... hand washing is also important after reachign into a tank even if you dont touch corals. do a search on this site for "the truth about palytoxins" its pretty enlightening.

reefforbrains

there are all sorts of things that bite, sting, and poke you in your tank. You do get used to your own tank where everything is and how agressive it is. Typically not deadly but why bother with it. Anenomes, urchins, some sps, unpleasent nevertheless so gloves is good advice when your really going to be digging around in there.

mandarin w

you should also note, that depending on each persons allergies, and sensitivity to some things. While a lot of people have no problems with putting their hands in their tanks, other have many. Some people will have minor issues with their hands burning, to some break out in a rash. Some people can have a severe reaction if highly sensitive. And it is not just corals that can do this, Their are several venomous fish that can put a healthy person in the hospital. So it is very important to know exactly what you have in your tank and how it can effect you. If you are sensitive or allergic to bee stings or spider bites, Be extremely careful.