Dumb ???: Water Changes - in what do you keep the water?

yourpalcm

I have kept three freshwater tanks for a number of years. I'm finally going to take the plunge into Saltwater. I've been researching for a couple months and taking notes, but no where have I seen anyone answer this very simple question...
When changing the water in the tank, you should prepare the new saltwater at least 24 hours in advance. In what do you keep that water before you put it in the tank????? For example, say you have a 150g set-up. A 10% water change would be 15 gallons. Do you keep a bunch of buckets filled with saltwater until it's ready to be put in the tank? How do you assure it's at the proper temperature before putting it in, etc. if it's in multiple buckets?

mandarin w

On my 180 I normally change about 30 gal a week, on a 150 I would do about 20ish.
Get yourself a large container, It can be a rubbermaid tote, trash can, any thing that will hold the water volume you plan on working with, and should be very sturdy. I personally use a brut trash can with the wheel dolly (easier to move around). Get a good powerhead, a heater, and a hydrometer ( to check the salinity). Make up your RO/DI water. Check the salinity of the water in your tank. Add the salt to the new RO water untill it is the same as in the tank. Put your powerhead and heater in your container with your new saltwater, make sure to set the heater for the same temp as in your tank, Next day do water change.
Note: It is alway a good ideal to make up extra salt water and keep it on hand, just in case of an emergency. Fish die, or get sick, From time to time you may have to do an emergency water change, and you won't have time to make some up. Salt water will be fine for about three weeks if circulation is used on it. So make up some extra, use what you need and keep the rest with the power head going off to the side. Then you have it if you need it.
Hope this helps, and I think I answered your question.

yourpalcm

Originally Posted by mandarin w
On my 180 I normally change about 30 gal a week, on a 150 I would do about 20ish.
Get yourself a large container, It can be a rubbermaid tote, trash can, any thing that will hold the water volume you plan on working with, and should be very sturdy. I personally use a brut trash can with the wheel dolly (easier to move around). Get a good powerhead, a heater, and a hydrometer ( to check the salinity). Make up your RO/DI water. Check the salinity of the water in your tank. Add the salt to the new RO water untill it is the same as in the tank. Put your powerhead and heater in your container with your new saltwater, make sure to set the heater for the same temp as in your tank, Next day do water change.
Note: It is alway a good ideal to make up extra salt water and keep it on hand, just in case of an emergency. Fish die, or get sick, From time to time you may have to do an emergency water change, and you won't have time to make some up. Salt water will be fine for about three weeks if circulation is used on it. So make up some extra, use what you need and keep the rest with the power head going off to the side. Then you have it if you need it.
Hope this helps, and I think I answered your question.
Perfect. Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I can't believe I haven't found that written anywhere else.

merredeth

I use a 50 gallon trashcan purchased for the purpose of holding saltwater.
Keep in mind you need to reinforce it with duct tape or it will split.
I also took six 2 x 2's and lined them up around the tank, taking duct tape and going around the whole shebang so it was definitely reinforced.
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by xDave
Been there seen that. :hilarious They definately aren't made to hold water.
My husband couldn't understand why I insisted on getting duct tape.
So, when we got home from the store, I allowed him to 'clean' the bucket with regular water and told him to fill it up to get rid of the vinegar. About half-way filled he started to see why I insisted on the duct tape and 2x2's.
I just love it when my husband has to say, "I'm sorry, you are right." Unfortunately, I've been right far more times than he has been so this is really bruising his ego. :hilarious
Denise M.