Duncan STILL!!!!! Wont open!

lil.guppy

Ok I have had this Duncan coral since.....I think February of this year. It used to open for a few days at a time and one time it was hidden for almost 2 weeks and then sprouted another head. Since it sprouted that second head I have not seen it open since and its now August! How can it survive if it never opens?
I have removed it from its spot in the middle of the tank and put it on the sand bed to see if maybe the light was too much for it.
Anyone else ever had this problem?

jackri

That stinks... I know my sunflower would only open long after I went to bed thus making it impossible to feed practically. There are like 4 tiny little heads left and they'll eventually disappear too.
Things can surprise you though... thought my RBTA was history after only 3 days in my DT and showed up after 3 weeks. Now 3 months later after I moved it to the frag tank I found a baby one in the DT.

luvmyreef

this coral prefers to attach to solid objects in soft, sandy areas. In the home aquarium, place in low current areas with low to moderate light. they feed through photosynthesis via the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae that thrive on the colony, this coral also benefits from regular target feedings of meaty marine foods such as enriched mysis and brine shrimp.

nolanrob123

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///forum/post/3119940
this coral prefers to attach to solid objects in soft, sandy areas. In the home aquarium, place in low current areas with low to moderate light. they feed through photosynthesis via the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae that thrive on the colony, this coral also benefits from regular target feedings of meaty marine foods such as enriched mysis and brine shrimp.
+1
I feed mine maybe once a week with the phyto. Mine would not open for the longest until I moved it to a lower flow area, now it thrives!

spkdtch

i got mine this monday and when it got home and went in the tank, it didnt open up, then at night on the second day, it opened and closed during the day almost like sun coral, but as of now, its completely open with 2 more heads sprouting
mine is on a plug, in the substrate, about 50% direct light, and now flow, which i will change when i get home from work tonight

spkdtch

ps. when i turned on my light about 10min ago, it started to close(was open in the dark) and all i turned on was the actinics, so my guess would be the light is just too strong for the little guy
move to a shaded area or partially shaded

life~reefer

I keep mine in the sand and feed a few times a week. I got it a month ago as two heads and since has sprouted 4 baby heads.

nolanrob123

Originally Posted by Life~Reefer
http:///forum/post/3127871

I keep mine in the sand and feed a few times a week. I got it a month ago as two heads and since has sprouted 4 baby heads.
BEAUTIFUL! I have only had one head sprout on mine after 2 months :( I'm hoping now that I have been feeding them some phyto it will help. What do you feed yours?

life~reefer

Originally Posted by nolanrob123
http:///forum/post/3130108
BEAUTIFUL! I have only had one head sprout on mine after 2 months :( I'm hoping now that I have been feeding them some phyto it will help. What do you feed yours?
Thank you. I feed mine either mysis shrimp or a piece of a shrimp from the grocery store. Nothing really special like phyto.