Duncans growing ???

steve24

hopefully Viper will see this, i know he has them. its not the best of pics because i was in a hurry. i fed my duncans and was watching them close up when i noticed some small tenicles sticking out from the base of the polyp. you can barely see them on the middle (tallest) polyp.

(hoping) this is how they spread or grow, if so i`m

steve

murph145

yup looks like its growin a new head... man i coulda grabbed some of these the other day for $30 a head but didnt think much of them...
either way nice and yes i think they are budding off a new polyp

viper_930

Looking good Steve! It's definitely budding.
The prices on these vary a lot depending on where they're from. The vibrant green strain from ORA Farms is usually around 100 for single polyps, and less for frags with multiple polyps. There's a different strain from a popular online vender that they sell for 60 or so each. I think you may have gotten yours from there, Steve. Then there's a lot of new wild collected duncans being imported with CITES permits from Australia in the past few months. I've seen them from $25 on up to $50.
I have 20+ polyps of the ORA duncan and 3 polyps + a few buds of the wild collected duncans. The ORA strain definitely has a lot more color and are much larger. Fully expanded my ORA type gets up to 6" tip to tip, compared to 1" for the wilds.

mark_d

can anyone of you guys please email me info on where to get these guys? specially the lower end ones. Any info appreciated.
Also, info on how to care for them would be awesome, even tho I have been doing a lot of readin on em ^_^.
*Email Removed*

S

scoobs

My lfs has onewith 3 poylps.. they are extending but dont look extremely healthy imo.. Think its worth 75 bucks tax and all?

steve24

i paid 190 for my three polyps from a online site that has a divers den. hope its ok to say that. so does it look like it budding to you or is that how they multiply ? these must be the ORA strain, the stalks are a bright green and the polyps tip to tip of tenicles are close to silver dollar size...
thanks again viper

steve

S

scoobs

Well the poylps are extending but not as large as the ones here

mark_d

thanks steve...... post got deleted lol
Anywho, info on how to get one and where, specially lower end ones is appreciated. send info to
markdosal at gmail dot com
thanks ^_^

viper_930

Mark, that isn't allowed. If we allow links to be exchanged by email we might as well just allow links here. I know of a dozen sites easy that have duncans in stock. Just do a search. If you're first post was edited, that would be a clue not to try posting the same thing again.
Steve, that site with the diver's den is the second place I mentioned. It's not the ORA strain, but that place aquacultures their own duncan, or at least they claim to.
It is budding. Once the buds grow up they'll start to branch off.

steve24

viper,
thanks again for ALL your help past, present and future... lol
people like you is what makes this a GREAT message board

steve

mark_d

still this site doenst sell duncans........ but oh well.. ill just run a few searches see what happens... thanks ^_^ didnt mean to cause any problems ^__^

viper_930

Glad to help, Steve. :)
Mark, thanks for understanding. It's not really about what this site does/doesn't sell, but that we don't want fuss around with making exceptions for some online retailers and not others.

mark_d

Actually, should ask, viper: what is the ideal settings for this coral?
I have a 24gal aquapod with a Rio 110 pump (300gal/hour) with a 150watt MH lamp (15000K).
Is this ok for them and what would be a good place for a duncans to be?

viper_930

IMO pretty much any place is good enough for them. They can adapt very well do high/low lighitng and flow. The key to growth is feeding.