Durso or Stockman, which is better?

escape2thewater

I have been using a stockman standpipe for awhile now but it still will "gurgle" every so often. I was thinking about trying a durso style standpipe instead, do you think it will be quieter? Which design is better? Which is more common? Thanks in advance.
Escape
:happyfish

squidd

They are basicly the same design "function" wise....the stockman being a bit more compact and the durso being a bit easier to build...
Both take a little time to "tune" with the air adjustment...
Sounds like you need to open your air hole a little....

thegrog

Used a Durso ever since setting up my 125 Reef 7 months ago. Never heard a single sound from it.....ever! Never had flow problems either.
So Durso gets my vote! If it ain't broke.....

escape2thewater

Well I built a durso style standpipe and I am dissappointed to report that I had no luck with it. I tweaked it for over 2 hours and I could not get it to flow correctly and not break siphon when power is cut simotaneously. It will either not break siphon but have flow issues or flow great but the siphon breaks.
I tried. Maybe I will mess with it some more when I have time. On a positive note though, after I reinstalled my stockman it works 100% perfectly! I do want to figure out the durso though, I hate it when I get beat by something stupid like that!
Escape

escape2thewater

I have a question for squidd, or anyone else who might know. My overflow box has a divider in it, does that effect how things work with the durso? Heres a drawing of how it is on the outer box.
Escape