Durso Question

dankoos

If I get a glass tank that is not pre-drilled in the bottom, and, from what I have read on here, the bottom is not drillable due to being tempered glass, can i drill a hole in the back or side of the tank and still do a Durso standpipe? Obviously, it would drain out the lower back or side of the tank instead of the bottom...but should operate the same way as if the hole was in the bottom..correct? Opinions? Thanks!

squidd

Yes, go to the Durso site (google Durso) and they have directions to do exactly what you described...

dankoos

I looked on that site and cannot find anything specifically mentioning or showing the bulkhead NOT being on the bottom of the tank...that is why I asked the question

dogstar

That site shows an U tube type overflow with the durso in the outer box but to use a bulk head in the Main tank then I think you can do it like this. Never done this so maybe someone can say if this will work or not.

thegrog

My Durso pipe is on the side, not the bottom and it works fine. Just have it go into an elbow.

nytrillium

yup, post #5 is what im going to be doing with my tank. BTW how many linear inches of overflow to supply my sump/fuge with a mag 9.5 pumping ~5 feet? Could i get away with a single 1" bulkhead or should i go with 2 3/4" to be safe?

jessecnc

2 3/4" bulkheads will only provide a tiny more flow than one 1". 660 vs. 600! NYT, I think post #6 is the way to go. This is what I did for my new 90. The MAG9.5 is also what I will be using. This is a little oversized and may need turned down with a 1" return on your setup. 3/4" is too small to match your overflow with the 9.5, so the 1" with a bypass valve is the way to go!

nytrillium

hmm ok, i was hoping to not have to turn down the pump as this is my only source of water movement in the MT... through 4 diff. outlets. I may just do 2- 1" bulkheads to be safe... Could you T them and put them down like a 1.5" pipe to the sump, rather than have 2 1" pipes and 2 dursos to adjust?