duster help

victor52

help curently my 20gallen tank craked so i taped it up sixs weeks ago and cyled a new tank but i have a problem my five fetherdusters must be moved without their rocks, does anyone have an idea about how to get them off

fishgeek01

wish i could help, i know that when those things stick they don't want to come off, why cant the rock go with them? other than that i would be as gentle as possible and try to remove them i wouldnt use a razor or anything like that i know the bodies of the feather duster worms are pretty fragile. Also i dont know if you are aware of this or not, but if you do move them and the feathers fall off, (its actually the filter feeding gills of the worm) the feathers will regenerate in a short period of time usually about 2 wks, but can take longer, they do that as a natural response to stress so if they do come off, dont flush them they may come back, i have witnessed it first hand about a dozen times, also i seen it take as long as 6 wks .

alyssia

GENTLY grasp the tube at the base (part that's attached to the rock) and try to pull it off. Be careful though, I once pulled a tube off and left the worm behind.

victor52

what if that happens to me do i just gently but him in the tank and hope he survies and if so can they climb on to a rock to reposition them self or is it the type of animal that just stays where its put

merredeth

Originally Posted by victor52
what if that happens to me do i just gently but him in the tank and hope he survies and if so can they climb on to a rock to reposition them self or is it the type of animal that just stays where its put
I have moved several Hawaiian Dusters when adding a new tank and decided to redistribute my flock of dusters.
Slowly and carefully pull the duster away by the thickest part of the body. Go very slowly and do it gently.
Then move it where you want it to go.
If you break it off, the worm will rebuild so long as the worm itself is not damaged.
I feed my tanks Marine Snow and the dusters seem to love this stuff better than just the phytoplankton.
Denise M.