Dvskin

kinkfish

Hey,thanks for the idea for the above fuge I built one that works I am however thinking about an upgrade building one with a chamber with a skimmer. Any input would be great.

reefnut

Gallons = L" x W" x D" /231
Keep in mind the display will have to accommodate the overflow from the fuge so if you get a power outage the display doesn't overflow.

kinkfish

This is working like a reverse sump I am going to use a power head take take water from the display and put the water in the fuge on top of the display. so it cant overflow because I have a 2 inch drain that drains back in the tank.

reefnut

the display doesn't overflow.

The display is where you will have your level fluctuation. Not the fuge.
As long as the water level in the display is low enough to hold what water overflows back into the display if power is lost your good to go.

beaslbob

Originally posted by kinkfish
This is working like a reverse sump I am going to use a power head take take water from the display and put the water in the fuge on top of the display. so it cant overflow because I have a 2 inch drain that drains back in the tank.

I think technically your display in now the sump :D
As always i recommend you test the design by turning the pwer off waiting and turning it back on. To past the test there should be no floods and the system should return to normal when the power comes back on.
You do need to make sure the display is not filled and then overflowed during a power outage. The display will have to be empty enough to take the water that drains from the refug.

kinkfish

Thanks I have already tested on current fuge. I have a black lip that hold about 10 extra gallons of water above the fill line on the display tank so I think if the power goes out I will only lose about 5 gallons or so.

reefnut

Originally posted by kinkfish
Kool thanks do you like the design is it o to have a skimmer with the fuge?

IMO the design should work! Really you have blocked off the fuge from the skimmer so it's kind of like a sump/fuge. Which should keep your pods and such from getting sucked into the skimmer for the most part. The only thing I would be concerned with now is providing the skimmer with a good enough flow that it can effectively do its job but at the same time keeping the flow low enough to accommodate the fuge.

kinkfish

kool thanks I have never had a skimmer I have had my tank up for a year and never had an ammonia spike or lost any fish due to health problems but I want to keep it that way so how do you know if your are getting enough waterflow through the skimmer?because I have to hook the skimmer up to a powerhead in order for it to work?

reefnut

Sounds like your tank is established so when you first start running the skimmer you will get a lot of skimmlet (sp?). After it's been running for a week or two it should slow down some. Then just watch it to make sure it's producing skimmlet (sp?- The stuff in the skimmer cup) good.

kinkfish

So as long as I am getting SP in the skimmer cup (I have seen this yummy stuff before) the skimmer is getting enough flow and everything is copesetic.if not what can I do to tweek it so it does?
thanks for all the info!!!

reefnut

The power head feeding the skimmer is one thing... I'm more talking about the flow through the skimmer compartment.
I'm really not sure how to exactly know if the flow is enough for the skimmer. If your nitrates stay low and your getting skimmlet then your doing fine I guess.