Dwarf Angel

cdn_beaver

Im considering adding a dwarf angel to my tank. I understand I can only have one per tank, but Im not sure which one. Im trying to choose between the flame, bi-colour, and lemonpeel. Is there any advantages, disadvantages to any of these fish, or is it just a matter of personal preference? :happyfish

cdn_beaver

This will be the first fish in the tank. I plan to add a percula clown, a mandarin goby and another yet to be decided fish some time down the road. I would also like for my tank to evolve from a FOWLR tank to a reef tank, but I have read that the dwarf angel is reef safe, but with caution. What is it that makes them a possible threat to a reef? Will they eat the corals?

O

osufarker

It may just be me, but I have found the bicolor to be less hardy than the others.

pufferman

Generally bicolor and lemonpeel tend to less hardy and more difficult to feed initially than flame. I think it's just a matter of your color preference. Bicolor gets bigger (6" max) than most dwarf angels. Personally my favourite is bicolor because not only are they gorgeously colored, but they also got the look of their larger counterparts. Hope this helps.

cdn_beaver

Thanks to everybody for the information. I appreciate the help.
I had read on another website that 30 gallons was recommended for the dwarf angels, so I still wasnt too sure. Im having a difficult time trying to decide what fish I should have in my 25. I realize that I will probably max out at about 4 small fish, so I want to make each one count. My wife and daughters are totally dead set on a percula clown, and in about a year a mandarin goby, which leaves me with maybe 2 more fish. Any suggestions? I love bright colours! :joy:
Thanks again.

mmmsalty

i LOVE my lemon peel, he's pretty, birghtly colored & very active, he plays in the current i have going in the front of the tank all day long. i've read on this board that they can be agressive, but he's the most mild tempered fish i have (may have just gotten lucky). It's a very entertaining fish to watch & i think he's got lots of personality, i think u would really like one, the bright yellow color is great. I'ts best friend is a flame angel, although i don't recommend mixing dwarf angels. The flame follows him all day and he doesn't seem to mind, he's never shown any aggression towards any of my other fish & he's an excellent algae grazer!
hope this helps a little:joy:

coastie55g

i just picked up a coral beauty.. he has bright blues... hes still in the scared/new tank syndrome.. but when he comes out his colors really show.. almost got the flame but had a unknown bump on one of his fins.. so got the coral instead..