dwarf lion eating

bkvreef

I have a dwarf in my 110g, he's been in there for 5 days and as far as I've seen hasn't eaten.
I have offered him krill but he hasn't tried any.
Any suggestions?

bkvreef

Sorry, the lfs that I purchased him said I could come back and get some live ghost shrimp if he doesn't take to the krill.
If I have to how would I ween him off and onto the krill?

lion_crazz

Get him some ghost shrimp, feed the ghost shrimp something nutritious, and then feed the ghost shrimp to the lionfish. This is called gut-loading the ghost shrimp and the ghost shrimp can actually be good for him, unlike any kind of other live feeder you might find commonly sold.
Eventually, you want him coming to the top of the aquarium for the shrimp, and then he will begin eating frozen food as well.

bkvreef

Originally Posted by eel freak
i feed my dwarf a freeze dried shrimp off a stick or out of my hand
Have you always been able to feed it freeze dried? Did you have to ween it off of live?

v-lioness

I agree with lion_crazz, "Get him some ghost shrimp, feed the ghost shrimp something nutritious, and then feed the ghost shrimp the lionfish. This is called gut-loading the ghost shrimp and the ghost shrimp can actually be good for him, unlike any kind of other live feeder you might find commonly sold."
If your lion is young it needs foods, feed some ghost shrimp gut loaded......
Pick up a feeder stick from your LFS, try Krill, Raw Shrimp, Crab, Frozen Sand Eels (thawed) and so on, your lion needs a variety of food, soaked in vitamins.
I would not recommend hand feeding any lion, get a feeder stick, feeding a staple diet of Freeze Dried will eventually catch up to your lion and health issue will follow.
also live food makes them way aggresive
Lions are predators, in general they are not aggressive, I have yet to see live food make a lion aggressive.
Kaye

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
Lions are predators, in general they are not aggressive, I have yet to see live food make a lion aggressive.
Kaye
I agree. I have never experienced live food making the lion more aggressive. It is a great way to get them to begin eating, to become more used to seeing you and feeding from you, and to wean them onto more nutritious frozen foods.

shogun323

I recently acquired a fuzzy dwarf myself. I am by no means an expert, but I can share my experience on getting him to eat krill. Before purchasing him I had the LFS feed him to make sure he ate so they gave him a live feeder fish. I took him home and couldn't get him interested in silversides. So I purchased a live small peppermint shrimp and kind of skewered it onto a feeding stick without killing him and then put a drop of garlic extreme on it. Then I stuck it in near him and after a couple of minutes he ate it. So a few days later I tried frozen krill with a drop of garlic extreme and he ate it immediately.
I don't know if I used the best method but it worked for me!!! Good Luck

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by shogun323
I recently acquired a fuzzy dwarf myself. I am by no means an expert, but I can share my experience on getting him to eat krill. Before purchasing him I had the LFS feed him to make sure he ate so they gave him a live feeder fish. I took him home and couldn't get him interested in silversides. So I purchased a live small peppermint shrimp and kind of skewered it onto a feeding stick without killing him and then put a drop of garlic extreme on it. Then I stuck it in near him and after a couple of minutes he ate it. So a few days later I tried frozen krill with a drop of garlic extreme and he ate it immediately.
I don't know if I used the best method but it worked for me!!! Good Luck
Wade, I don't know about others' experiences, but my fuzzies never seem to care for silversides. They love krill, prawn, mysis, clam, etc. but they totally ignore silversides. I have never had a problem getting larger lions to eat silversides, but my fuzzies will not touch the stuff.

shogun323

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Wade, I don't know about others' experiences, but my fuzzies never seem to care for silversides. They love krill, prawn, mysis, clam, etc. but they totally ignore silversides. I have never had a problem getting larger lions to eat silversides, but my fuzzies will not touch the stuff.
Thank for the info Lion. That explains why he wasnt interested in it.

superh

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
lol, i have the exact opposite situation...my fuzzy will jump out of the water a little bit trying to get at a silverside when i dangle it above the surface...can't get her to eat raw krill, raw chopped shrimp, or chopped squid :thinking:

superh

another good trick i've learned is to stuff pellets inside the mouths of silversides...thaw the silverside, then use your fingernail to pry their little mouth open, stuff a pellet inside, close the mouth and feed to the fish...good way to get more nutrients to a lionfish