dwarf seahorses.....

beenbag497

ok heres the deal...........i have a 3 gallon picotope that i had made into a reef a while ago and it got a little boring so i put all the coralss in to my aquapod,anyway i wanted to make it a seahorse tank so would somebody list everything i need for a dwarf seahorse tank?

beenbag497

ok i'll make it easier for everyone........anything else besides these things?
dead live rock
dead sand
decapsulated brine shrimp eggs
brine shrimp hatchery
anything else??
and is it ok to take water from my aquapod and put it in my 3 gallon?

rykna

I wouldn't add to it. Adding water from other tanks introduces all sorts of potential unwanted pests. Aiptasia being #1 on my list.
ok i'll make it easier for everyone........anything else besides these things?
dead live rock
dead sand
~only if you have bleached/fried /boiled...
decapsulated brine shrimp eggs..Artemia is my favorite
brine shrimp hatchery....you can make your own. DO NOT buy the store versions, they're very unproductive.
and is it ok to take water from my aquapod and put it in my 3 gallon?
Nooooooooooooooooo.....IMHO

rykna

Well...
After the Aiptasia disaster I fried, boiled, etc. everything in my pony tank. The tank was sterile. Cycling was no longer part of my pony tank, I had to keep a close eye on the water quality. My plan was to reseed the tank with pods purchased from my LFS. I really had to keep up with water changes, but little by little the pod population grew...minus the aiptasia. I would love to keep live coral and live rock in my pony tank, but after witnessing so many of my ponies paralyzed and slowly being digested by the aiptasia....I have stopped using live rock or anything that hasn't been boiled or baked into my pony tanks. Keep in mind, that over time, by reintroducing store bought pods and other critters you can rebuild and bring back you DR and DS to life, without introducing harmful hitch hikers.

veronicad

That's my plan too. So did you actually boil your rock? Nothing exploded or anything, eh? How long did you leave it in boiling water?

rykna

Originally Posted by veronicad
http:///forum/post/2588797
That's my plan too. So did you actually boil your rock? Nothing exploded or anything, eh? How long did you leave it in boiling water?
Have you ever boiled corn on the cob? Same method. Heat a large pot of water until it is boiling. Keep the water boiling, but not over flowing the pot. Add rocks, I left mine in for 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from the pot and rinse thoroughly with cool tap water, use a scrub brush if needed. Then I set the clean rock aside on an old towel to dry.
DO NOT place your boiled rock with any unboiled substrate or rock. I store the substrate and rocks in separate bins to keep them from getting contaminated again.
I dunked my larger rocks twice to make sure I got everything. If you have rock that are too large to fit into you pot, place them in the sink and pour boiling water over them. Rinse, reposition the rock and pour more boiling water on. Repeat this until you have boiled the whole surface of the rock.
As for exploding....the rock we use in our tanks is porous, allowing air to escape and make happy little hidey holes for critters too. So it won't explode, but I have had a few crack and split apart.
Oh...and you might want to wait to start your gourmet cooking until every one else is out of the house. The smell can get a little over whelming...it smells kind of like a very rancid compost heap

rykna

Originally Posted by beenbag497
http:///forum/post/2589131
so how long will the tank have to cycle?
If you use the boiling method and kill both LS and LR, there is no cycling. That is why I really stressed on the importance of water quality. When I set my new tank up, I had ponies swimming in it 3 days latter.
It's a game of Russian roulette with mother nature. By eliminating all danger of harmful infestation we have also obliterated all the helpful organisms. That is why you must be prepared to purchase and "reseed"(i.e. cycling) or refill the tank amphiopods, cocepods, tigger pods, ghost shrimp, etc("clean up crew"). that have not been contaminated. I've purchased all of these from my lfs. You can also purchase them online too.
Pay close attention how much food your ponies are eating. The ponies aren't the only ones you're feeding. The pods will be extremely hungry too. Too ensure the pods get dinner I use sinking shrimp pellets. Just one pellet, replace every third day when you do water changes. Keep a close watch on your water quality. Do water changes at least every 3rd day for the first month. By the end of the month you should start to notice the water quality starting to even out. Continue adding pods and keeping up with the water quality.
In three months the dead, boiled sand bed in my tank was coming back to life,however,Pony tanks cannot depend on the "clean up crew" to keep the water quality level, IMHO. Because of the small size of the tank and limited water flow, it's hard to keep a "clean up crew" population fed. The tank will eventually cycle, but not the same as a reef tank.

veronicad

Wow. This puts everything I was planning into a different light. Some adjustments will need to be made to my 'plan', and other things are just as I thought. Thank you for your help with this different perspective on things.

teresaq

there is a place on line that sell dwarf safe live rock, live sand and macros, guarunteed not to have any thing bad in or in them.
T

rykna

http:///forum/post/2589870
so just boil the lr and ls and then buy pods and stick them in the newly made tank waTer?
Yep. I view this kind of set up equal to the "evil gold fish bowl scam"
. You know the round ones with the tiny opening at the top. The kit comes with everything as says "just add fish!!"...oh and don't forget the cute little picture of 20 plus assortments of fresh water fish, and the happy child watching his/her fish with the happy, proud parents smiling at their child's happiness.
......problem is one week latter little Billy and his Mother return to the LFS, Billy's crying cause his goldfish died, his Mother is demanding to know why their all in one "success kit" failed, and know look at my poor little Billy.
We've all been there...mine happened with my first gold fish, Mellisa

Now that I've told my dramatic tale.....my answer is yes. I boiled, bleached, and scrubbed the heck out of everything(even the tank) that was going back into my pony tank. You can have the tank up and running the same day if you want.
~to make doubly sure I got all the bleach out I put my DS and DR in several different buckets and ran cold water over them in the tub for a half hour; stirring every 8-10 minutes.
Next step: Set up your tank
Here are some of the things I plan to purchase and add to my 15 gallon when I get it up and running.
  • Copepods
  • Amphiopods
  • Rotifers
    Ghost Shrimp
    Phytoplankton
I am NOT
going to introduce any live plants. Live plants carry all sorts of unwanted eggs, spores, etc.
I do suggest waiting at least a month before adding your ponies. The beneficial part of adding your ponies within the first week is giving your pods food. However, this puts a big strain on your water quality. If you hold off adding ponies it is extremely important to feed some kind of sinking pellets. Other wise your pods will starve to death.
There are so many "ifs". Use the method you feel most comfortable with.
~quick thought...you will have to set up a bbs(baby brine shrimp) hatchery. You could use the bbs to cycle the tank too.

rykna

http:///forum/post/2590465
so instead of pods i could use bbs?
No, pods are an essential part of any saltwater tank. The bbs would help with the tank's "artificial" cycling. The bbs would be equavillant to adding blue damsels to your tank. Secondly they would also provide food for your new pod population, thirdly, this also gives you the opportunity to get get you bbs hatchery going.

beenbag497

Originally Posted by Rykna
http:///forum/post/2590490
No, pods are an essential part of any saltwater tank. The bbs would help with the tank's "artificial" cycling. The bbs would be equavillant to adding blue damsels to your tank. Secondly they would also provide food for your new pod population, thirdly, this also gives you the opportunity to get get you bbs hatchery going.
oh ok......where can i buy pods?