DYI 40 gallon tank. Is 1/4 acyrlic good?

FrankW

I was wondering if 1/4 acrylic will work for a 34lx16wx18h? I already had it cut so I think I messed up. If it wont is there a good way to brace it so it wont bow?

2quills

It will definitely bow quite a bit. On sumps you can typically get away with it because of all the added bracing from the baffles etc.

I'd recommend a 4" euro brace around the top made of one solid piece vs strips welded together. You'll still get some bowing but it should hold the tank together provided the welded joints turn out good.

Are you using cell cast material or extruded?

FrankW

Awe crap. I'm building a integrated sump in the back. So I don't know if I can do euro style 4in. So I don't knkw. I think I just wasted my money.

FrankW

I'm gonna order a full piece to fit into my top. Does this rest on top for euro style or sit inside? If I go 3/8 or 1/2 will it help stop the bow?

2quills

I'm gonna order a full piece to fit into my top. Does this rest on top for euro style or sit inside? If I go 3/8 or 1/2 will it help stop the bow?
The brace rests on top.

The thicker you go the less bowing you will see. A lot of it has to do with the height of the tank. 1/4" is pushing the limits on 18" tall tank as it is. 3/8" would be a better option. Or go with 3/8" for the front, back and sides but keep the 1/4" material and use it for the bottom and the brace or even baffles for the sump.

Best to error on the side of forgiveness, especially for your first build.

I made a 14"L x 14"w x 18"T tank out of 1/4" for my freshwater reservoir and it bows quite a bit. Here's a few pics of that build. The following couple of pages you can see the sump build as well.

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/index.php?threads/2quills-120g-re-build-thread.378912/page-24