DYI Denitrator

zman1

I am not a Chemist
and to paraphrase articles (in the links) that some do a good job in layman's terms and others that have a higher understanding of Chemistry - ie CEs. Just the fact I am using carbon, I think it is a standard understanding, it can pull trace elements out. I am doing water changes weekly and can't keep NO3 down where I want it. Some can keep a level of 0 for NO3, I have never been able. I have gotten close before, but never zero. It is also my understanding that NO2 is removed before it can change to NO3 as well. Only time will tell if this is a success or failure.
I am willing to take advice from a Chemist or a hobbyist with experience as to success or more importantly failure of this approach - If you know what I mean... The last time Sarwiz100 shows being on the board was on 1-31-07, I would love to hear what he has seen thus far.
Here is information copied directly from one of the links. by J. Charles Delbeek, M.Sc.
The system uses small beads of elemental sulfur placed in a contact chamber. Tank water is introduced at the bottom of the chamber at a very slow rate and exits out the top. As the water moves slowly upward, oxygen is removed by bacteria, making the chamber more anaerobic the further up the water rises. At this point, the bacteria will use nitrate in the absence of oxygen so that by the time the water exits from the top of the chamber, most of the nitrate has been removed. The chemical reaction that takes place releases excess hydrogen ions, which makes the water acidic.
Nitrogen gas is also produced, and this leaves the water at the top of the chamber (one reason why a reverse-flow design is favored). It is believed that carbon dioxide is also produced in this process, further acidifying the water. To counter the acidity, the effluent from the reactor should pass through another column of crushed coral in which the acidic water will dissolve the coral gravel, raising the pH and generating calcium ions.
Another by-product of sulfur-based denitrification is sulfate. Passing the water through calcareous gravel precipitates this sulfate and prevents it from entering the aquarium. The sulfur beads can last a very long time, but the chamber of coral gravel will quickly turn to sediment and should be replenished on a regular basis. The use of a fluidized bed design for both the sulfur and the coral gravel reactors should help to reduce the build-up of sediments.
This depends on how low such filters can bring the nitrate. Most reef aquariums still have nitrate levels that are a magnitude greater than those found in nature. If these filters can bring down aquarium levels to natural reef levels, they may well be worth the effort to use. On fish-only systems, these filters can easily help bring down nitrates to much lower levels. In addition, with the increase in the numbers of fish and the amount of food being added to reef tanks, a sulfur denitrator may be a necessary tool to remove excess nitrate. Finally, if aquarists want to keep many of the more delicate nonphotosynthetic corals, such as Dendronephthya, which require frequent feedings, these filters would again help keep nitrates under control.
Some of you may be wondering what all the fuss is about, since denitrification filters have been around for over 10 years. The difference is that those filters rely on heterotrophic bacteria to reduce nitrate to nitrogen gas. This means that you need to feed the bacteria a carbon source, usually methanol or ethanol, in a controlled manner, and adjust the amount in response to changes in nitrate levels. Too much alcohol, and you get hydrogen sulfide production. Too little, and you have nitrite and nitrate released back to the aquarium. These filters also produce a large amount of bacterial slime that needs to be removed on a regular basis.
The genius of the sulfur-based denitrators is that they do not need to be constantly adjusted, you don't need to feed them (other than to add some new sulfur maybe once a year or less), and they can also be used in conjunction with a calcium reactor to add calcium and alkalinity to the aquarium. Put simply, they are much easier to use with much less risk than alcohol-based reactors.

zman1

It is also possible to use this method in conjunction with a Jaubert plenum system, and most likely, with a deep sand bed system. By adding a thin layer of sulfur beads just above the plenum, or bare bottom of the tank in a deep sand bed, you can use the anaerobic environment there to allow sulfur-based denitrification to occur. This might allow Jaubert or deep sand bed systems to carry a heavier bioload by increasing their denitrifying capacity. You could also set up a system in a refugium or adjacent sump to allow you to add such a system to an existing tank without having to tear it down first.
The advantage of this system is that you don't need to add another piece of equipment, but I prefer the convenience of having a separate device I can remove without having to disrupt my tank. Several manufacturers are offering these systems in Europe, and some are now being imported to the United States (e.g., Knop, AquaMedic and Deltec).

phixer

Nice project Zman. Id like to try a sulfur denitrator project in the future, might have to duplicate yours.

zman1

Phixer - thanks, but I would wait... Let me make all the mistakes first-LOL
I have made anumber of them already.

reefkprz

I love the Idea of using the sulfur to boost the capacity of DSB and plenum systems. that article is frikken awesome. I'm going to have to research into that a bit more, it sounds like a great way to improve a tanks bio-capacity. hmmmm. :thinking:
great project, hope you get it right in one shot with no big ooopsies.

zman1

I did place it into my production system. I did stop using the Dosing pump and used the two new aqualifters. This was after I added the straight Ca reactor media chamber. I also took the opportunity to relocate my Ca reactor and CO2 tank since I changed it's media and had to charge the tank this weekend. (the check valve had let a few drops of water pass, so I raised the CO2 tank height).
I took some pictures of the components for the media chamber. These were the same parts used on the De-NO3, but in 4". The prices are from Lowes

This is the toilet flange with knockout. This will accommodate either 3" or 4" pipe. Inside 3" and outside 4" price $3.27

Shows the Coupler left and Cleanout w/plug right.
The cleanout connects to the coupler and the other end of the coupler goes on the 4" pipe. Not pictured is the 4" pipe. I got the pipe on a different trip, the pipe comes in two lengths 5' and 8'or10'. I bought the short length for $7.xx
Coupler $1.93
Cleanout w/plug $5.76

Picture of the snap-in drain. $2.98

I cut the flange off the drain so it will drop thought the pipe and then used a dremel to smooth it.

Picture of the drain and vinyl screen used. I used two layers of the screen.

shows the drain and screen installed .

Shows the two chambers on the right side. The 3" (tall one) is the De-NO3 and the 4" (short one) is the Ca reactor media. Volume in 4" is about a gallon of media and the volume in the 3" is about 3/4 a gallon of the No-NO3 media. To the left of the Ca reactor are 4 aqualifts. Two are for this system and the other two are for the Ca reactor and a carbon chamber (listed earlier in the thread).
Of the two used for the De-NO3 project. The first feeds the De-NO3 chamber through the 100' of hose wrapped around it. Water is drawn out of the sump through the lifter then I have a pinch clamp to control the flow on the output before the 100' hose. The water leaves the top of the De-NO3 and enters the bottom of the Aragonite chamber and out the top. From the top of the argonite chamber I added the second lifter. The first one wasn't enough to run water through the two chambers. I tried to put it between the two chambers and was able to get the top plug to start a small leak, even after I wrapped and rewrapped the plug with Teflon tape. Part of this problem is, I don't have a pipe wrench big enough to hold it still while tightening the plug. I had my 19 yr old son hold it for me -LOL It was on it's last thread of the adjuster when I was trying to tighten the 3" cap. By putting on the output side it pulls water out rather than pushing. If I get a larger pipe wrench (belt version), I may switch it back between the chambers. I didn't end up using the carbon chamber connected to this system, but instead just drip it on a carbon in the white trashcan in the sump.

I kept the carbon chamber and used it as a standalone. It is driven by one of the old aqualifters.

zman1

I made a few changes, again. I had a leak in with the aragonite media chamber for the DeNO3 and use a smaller one I built for the CA reactor. I also swapped out the mixed sulfur media for straight sulfur. I did rearrange the aqualifters so that one feeds the 3" Sulfur chamber from the sump and the second is between the Sulfur chamber and the Aragonite chamber, then pinch clamped on the output of the aragonite chamber. I have the output dripping into the top of the carbon chamber, were I added the new wooden air diffusers. I believe this is the way I am going to leave it for now, the only change might be to move the output from the top of carbon chamber to the white trashcan. I have added a few picture to show this...
The other shorter chamber

The setup

The sulfur product

The current output of the Aragonite chamber

Close up

zman1

I just got a new NO3 kit. I thought I'd try the Lamotte this time. The current system water NO3-N reading is .75ppm, but converted to NO3 (NO3-N X 4.4) is 3.3 ppm. I will post test results again next week. I have continued doing my weekly water changes of 30 gallons as usual and haven't changed feeding habits.
This past weekend, I tested the DeNO3 output with Salifert and it was zero. I haven't tested it yet with the Lamotte kit. The flow rate is about 2 gallons per hour and I am running it unrestricted (no pinch clamp). It takes roughly 4 days to do 1X of system water turnover.
I did move the output to the White trashcan in the sump last week.

zman1

I didn't do a water change this weekend. Forgot, was doing yard work...
The current system water NO3-N reading is .5ppm, converted to NO3 (NO3-N X 4.4) is 2.2 ppm. I did test the De-NO3 output water with the Lamotte, it was zero.

baloo6969

is this the basic idea? I'm sorry I’m not very autistic.
I don’t understand where the tube with the foam is coming from. Is that the Carbon and Calcium tube?
should it look like this?

zman1

The tube with the foam is a carbon only tube, and I am not using it for the De-NO3 anymore. It is running standalone now..
The setup as it is today.
A aqualifter lifts water out of the sump then down the coiled airline hose to the bottom of the 3" sulfur chamber. The chamber is full to about 3"or 4" from the top plug with sulfur media. The water leaves the top and goes to another aqualifter then to the bottom of the other 4" chamber which is full of CA reactor media and then leaves the top. I drip this back into my sump now, the white trachcan part in the pictures.
Both chambers are built the same except one is with 3" PVC and the other is 4" pvc.
You could do it with one chamber like the retail versions, put another drain and screen between the sulfur and aragonite. This would help if you swap the aragonite media and mitigate dumping/mixing the sulfur. If you want to keep them separate. I had the mixed media at first and went to the separate media.
Here is a stick person quality drawing of it -LOL

baloo6969

i have a 55g, and i've been thinking of doing this for awhile...but i think i could get away with a smaller version...maybe 2and3 inch tubes, only 2/3s of the height you've made...what do you think?

zman1

Sure and if you do one split chamber or mixed media you could also get away with one $14 aqualifter.
It looks like it's working pretty well so far. I have no idea long term in months or years, what ill effect it will have, if any. Time will tell....

baloo6969

this is a great idea. How long will it take for the NO3 to start actually going down? Will a single 3 inch tube with Sulfer and CA about 15~18 inchs high be suficient in lowering the NO3? would it affect my PH/ALK?

zman1

The first day it appeared to do the opposite on NO3 and that was with mixed and separated media. I would have to go back through the thread but in a week or two you should see the output become 0. I have ran it a week on the last test and it reduced 3.3 to 2.2 in a week. It is hard to put an exact numbers since I was doing weekly water changes as well. I forgot this weekend and just added salt to my mixing tank today and will do the water change tomorrow morning. I couldn't tell you how long it would take you to see a level change on your system water...
Actually the Alk has been a little better and pH a little higher than typical. I run 8.0 normally and now it's 8.1 and Alk seems to be a little more stable around 162 ppm. I think this is the result of the big CA media chamber and the lower pH from the sulfur chamber. I do run a CA reactor and my pH is always on the low end and fight Alk. I may drip a little washing soda with the dosing pump to bring alk up a little higher. Plan for this is 2 tablespoons per RO water gallon and drip the gallon over 6-7 days.

baloo6969

"I may drip a little washing soda with the dosing pump to bring alk up a little higher. Plan for this is 2 tablespoons per RO water gallon and drip the gallon over 6-7 days."---HUH? I'm a bit confussed. What is washing soda? is it buffer?

zman1

Originally Posted by baloo6969
"HUH? I'm a bit confussed. What is washing soda? is it buffer?
Baked baking soda

zman1

Updated test
The current system water NO3-N reading is .25ppm, converted to NO3 (NO3-N X 4.4) is 1.1 ppm. Actually it's less than that (lowest scale is .25) but not willing to call it zero yet.
Added a picture (green is the system water tested).

baloo6969

this is exciting, ive got all the parts to do it tonight...just have to find the sulfer...i'm going with a 1/2 sulfer 1/2 calcium chamber. and i'm going to use
1/4' RO filter tubing...can i cycle this chamber on "old" water, or should i use it on my DT?