dyi led lighting

pappy1299

does anyone know anything about it?
can u use superbright white leds?
can u use blue leds for color?
and what can u keep under them?

ducky

My light hood has blue led lights as the moonlights but of course they are not very bright.

wangotango

I'm sure that the LEDs used in the Solaris and Galileo fixtures are different than the ones used for moonlights.
-Justin

johnbob

Your looking for Luxeon LEDs if you want to make a lighting system similar to a Solaris hood. They cost a bit more than normal LEDs.

scsinet

Yes, the ones in moonlights are lower power.
Moonlights usually use something on the order of 1w LEDs. The ones in the solaris, PFO, etc are 5w LEDs.
A "bit" more for the LEDs is understated. Expect to pay $5-10 per LED in quantities of a couple hundred (you'll need about that many to build a system). You can get them on that famous site where you bid on stuff for much less, but it's often factory seconds. The cost drops hugely when you are a manufacturer like PFO that buys them in massive quantities.
The Luxeon LumiLEDs, Cree LEDs, etc are the ones you want to be looking at.

chano

i am curious about these lights as well. What kind of stuff would they be good for? I find it hard to imagine putting any lps or sps under them but then again i really know nothing about what spectrum they produce or their intensity.

grabbitt

Also curious about LED setups... Who has one and how do you like it? How does it match up against MH? From what I've read, it gets the job done just as well if not better and for less energy, which is always a good thing (especially when running three tanks).

chano

Originally Posted by Pappy1299
does anyone know anything about it?
and what can u keep under them?
Not really highjacking as we are just reiterating a question that was asked but never answered